Any tutorial for mixing a live recording?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
davidrf

Any tutorial for mixing a live recording?

Post by davidrf » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Hi there,
could you point me to a good tutorial (or different specific tutorials) for mixing a live recording? I have a multitrack with 4 keyboards/synths (straight to the mixer), bass (straight to the mixer), 2 guitars (straight to the mixer), 3 vocals (mic'd) and a drum set (mic'd with 4 different mics: kick, snare and 2 overheads).

It's a project I make for fun, just to learn a bit of mixing. Thanks!

chris harbin

Re: Any tutorial for mixing a live recording?

Post by chris harbin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:32 pm

No specific mixing vids, but it's a complicated mess trying to sort out which are good and which are just blah blah. Some areas to concentrate on: Gain staging, ditching too much low end other than things like kick/bass, use VU's for anything other than drums (the Klanghelm one is cheap and does a really good job) and not mixing with a limiter/s originally (save them for later) and some organizational aspects are good in the habit department.

Of course, you'll get 100 different people with 100 different responses. :lol:

Joe Gilder (Presonus) had what I thought were some good ones at one point in time (a little Studio One specific but you can still get some good ideas)
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.