Help! I think I've messed up my latency settings!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Help! I think I've messed up my latency settings!

Post by Citizen » Thu May 04, 2023 10:59 am

I was trying to resolve an issue with latency with recording hardware into Live this afternoon, and I was adjusting the Buffer Size, and Driver Error Compensation.

I thought I had returned everything back to normal, but now I am having an issue where the audio from Kontakt seem to be out out of sync with Ableton.

I currently have my Buffer Size at 512 (which is what I think I had it at before!), and I have set my Driver Error Compensation to 0.000ms. The Overall Latency is 29.6ms.

I *think* is a lag with how the audio is playing back from Kontakt. When I resample the MIDI to audio in Live, It's out of sync, and there is a 30ms gap before the first waveform, despite the MIDI being bang on.

The really weird thing is that my other instances of Kontakt seem to be fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's just the one thats using NI's 'Empire Breaks' VST.

I've tried creating a new set. I've tried dragging in a new instance of Kontakt. I still cant quite resolve the issue. :oops:

Any idea on how to fix this?

chris harbin

Re: Help! I think I've messed up my latency settings!

Post by chris harbin » Thu May 04, 2023 11:44 am

I'm not even close to being an expert to respond, but the latency you are reporting is UNACCEPTABLE.

Frankly, my little iD4 with Live at 44.1 is a 64 buffer with far less latency than 10ms (really about 6)

Everything is totally kosher at that setting and my latency with audio or midi is excellent.

I'm not sure what you are doing, but 512 is HIGH. I didn't see what soundcard you are using. The only other thing to say is you should not need to muck around with "extra" latency settings.

Not sure if this helps or not, but since I'm in heaven with latency, maybe it offers some insight.

BTW, KONTAKT has really nothing to do with latency overall.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri May 05, 2023 2:25 am

I'm using a Novation Audiohub 2x4 soundcard.

Is there a correct setting I should return my settings to?

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri May 05, 2023 4:57 am

"It's just the one thats using NI's 'Empire Breaks' VST."

See if others are having the same issue.

I set my buffers at 512 but I don't do any hardware recording.It's possible you accidently set the bitrate differently.

Sometimes Kontakt libraries can be flakey.