Manual switching piano roll mode (pads' names / pitches)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
julienb

Manual switching piano roll mode (pads' names / pitches)

Post by julienb » Wed May 17, 2023 5:00 pm

There is something I always missed : Manual switching piano roll mode.

The automatic switching is smart.
But in many cases, it is not enough.

I know those workarounds...
I know the dummy drumrack with ALL pad named with PITCH etc.
We teach these too...

No.

I'd like to have a switch in the clip.

Recently, for a live performance, I used a sequencer triggering drum rack pads sound in a song, and I needed to select another chain for routing that same flow of notes triggering... a simpler in slice mode.
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

julienb

Re: Manual switching piano roll mode (pads' names / pitches)

Post by julienb » Fri May 19, 2023 10:33 am

Basically, this miss is very annoying.

I used to use the rack technique for using less tracks.
During my live performance, during that song, I play that clip switching that chain selector and firing notes to the right instrument in the right chains. Good.
Then, if I wanted to fire a clip in the same track, to another chain containing now a drum rack, it was easy.

I don't remember when but I think something changed since ... Live 10?

If I was using a clip in a track that had to fire notes to an instrument => I got the piano roll with ALL keys.
If I was using a clip in a track that had to fire notes to a drum rack => I got the pads names.

This thing forces to have tracks with racks with drumracks only and tracks with racks with instruments only.
I know the trick of getting drum racks with pads named as pitches etc but... hey.. that's not ok.

Racks are REALLY REALLY powerful.
Making multi effects with selections, synth layering etc.

But this particular clip/piano rol things really limit them !!!
Julien Bayle

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm

Now it shows both names (separated by pipe "|") if you have a Drum Rack(s) and a dummy MIDI FX Rack(s) with "Show Names in Editor" enabled in a Instrument Rack, but legibility is not good and it runs out of space with longer names (or more added racks).
♥♥♥

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri May 19, 2023 4:40 pm

pottering wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm
Now it shows both names (separated by pipe "|") if you have a Drum Rack(s) and a dummy MIDI FX Rack(s) with "Show Names in Editor" enabled in a Instrument Rack, but legibility is not good and it runs out of space with longer names (or more added racks).
This is a (nice) workaround but, actually, Ableton should consider this.
I'm currently working on my new live performance and I'm bumping again into this.

As mentioned, the auto-matic switch is very smart, but in many cases, this is really not ebough.

Racks ARE the way to use less tracks and to have tracks with multiple sound source.
Without this feature ? It forces to use 2 tracks and to decide (before) to have THAT track for drumracks and this other one for non-drumracks.

Also, the idea of routing a track into another one containing a rack doesn't work. The same automatic switch propagating following this routing ...
Julien Bayle

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat May 20, 2023 3:04 am

Maybe a toggle when you right-click the Chain Selector (similar to "Show Names in Editor" in the Chains), don't what it could be called, but once toggled it would show only the selected Chain's custom names, with overlapping Chains it would work just like it does now (hopefully with some tweak to the legibility).
♥♥♥

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat May 20, 2023 5:33 am

I trust them for finding the best way.
But I'd be happy to read them here.

We had a meeting for certified trainers recently but I didn't mention it.
I should have done.
Julien Bayle