A thorny problem

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
MonoTeksist

A thorny problem

Post by MonoTeksist » Wed May 17, 2023 2:58 pm

This forum's "Music Sharing" sub-forum has a whole lot of people posting, quite a lot of people of people clicking on a post, and probably a lot of people listening to other people's music/works-in-progress ... yet pretty much no one is commenting. And I believe this is a problem that should be addressed because that place looks like a graveyard and no one likes to see 25 post "reads" but zero comments on that song they're working on and of which they're so proud of.

So I'm asking this to you, Moderators: would it be possible, as a way to at least alleviate this problem, to force people who post there to at least comment on double the amount of the amount they're posting?
This probably sounds like Thai in reverse at 25% speed so here's an example: if I want to create 1 post in that sub-forum, I have to give at least 1 comment on 2 other people who have posted there (so 2 different songs). And also, a simple "Great, I like it!" won't do. Maybe force a 20-word mini-review or something? I'm just saying random numbers here but I'm sure you get the message.

So how about it, Ableton Forum gods? :P

[erm]
Site Admin

Re: A thorny problem

Post by [erm] » Wed May 17, 2023 3:20 pm

I see where you're coming from, but there's really no way to enforce that idea. I think the advice we have pinned at the top of the forum still is the best advice: if you want people to listen and comment on your music than do the same for them.
Ableton Forum Administrator

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist » Fri May 19, 2023 4:59 pm

Hi erm,

Is there a rule you put up yourselves that would break this enforcement?
Sure, I'll take out some time to post comments on people's music, but only if I "click" with the genre and, being a rebel and 98% anti "mainstream music", I could stop listening to commercial stuff after 10 seconds .
Not much use saying "Well, I hate hip-hop so your song feel like an eyesore to me. It may be ok though."

Maybe people themselves could explain why they click and listen but don't comment?
Lack of time?
Hate the song or genre and don't want to insult its creator?
Don't know what to say about a song you like because of lack of technical jargon?

As for me I'm a total scatterbrain, plus, having severe mental issues makes me highly inconsistent, "glitchy" and very impulsive.
Example: I could be thinking "I don't feel like watching a movie tonight", but then I'd get side-tracked by YT-viewing. But then 23.3598 minutes later I might see a video that makes me think of a topic this-or-that movie I possess deals with and even without thinking I'd go: "Hey I'm gonna watch that movie." 2 minutes later and I'm doing that thing I said I didn't feel like doing.

I dunno, I still think this issue could be improved upon you know.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Fri May 19, 2023 6:51 pm

It would just take a ton of time to try and enforce and the mods here have more important things to do I'm afraid. There's no systems in the forum software that would facilitate this either.

This issue is the same problem anywhere people can post music for others to listen to. More people want feedback on their tracks than want to give feedback on other people's tracks.
Ableton Forum Administrator

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Sat May 20, 2023 6:37 am

I don't see it as a problem at all. It happens everywhere and I find it wonderfully telling: Artistry and a certain degree of narcissism go hand in hand.
It is what it is.
In the old days before the internet we were a lot less exposed to other people's work and we had a tendency to think we were near-geniuses. Today we get a reality check almost immediately. I find that a lot healthier.
After all, that sub-forum is called "Music Sharing", and music sharing it is.