Ableton 11.2 less stable than 11.0 on M1 Macs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swingsetcommittee

Ableton 11.2 less stable than 11.0 on M1 Macs?

Post by swingsetcommittee » Sun May 21, 2023 8:07 pm

I've been happily running Ableton 11.0 via Rosetta on my M1 Max MBP mostly because of the massive number of plugins, presets, and effect chains I have that no longer open since 11.1. I'm finally biting the bullet and making the switch to 11.2.11, hoping for a performance boost.

However, right out the gate, I'm noticing 11.2 crashes significantly more often than 11.0. I also get error messages about Ableton "losing connection to AU v2" plugins that I never had in 11.0. I'm finding myself getting anxious during sessions because of the frequency of crashes, and it's really messing with the workflow.

Has anyone else noticed this coming from 11.0 to 11.2?

For the record, I'm running macOS Monterey, using an Apollo 8P, Audient ASP 800 (via ADAT), and UAD-2 Satellite. All plugins are legit and fully updated.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Ableton 11.2 less stable than 11.0 on M1 Macs?

Post by [jur] » Sun May 21, 2023 10:24 pm

You ran 11.0 under Rosetta.
Are you still doing the same with 11.2, or did you switch it to native/silicon mode? If that's the case, you might want to take a look at your non-silicon AU plugins which runs under-the-hood via a "translator" to work with Live silicon; they might cause issues.
Ableton Forum Moderator

hologroove

Re: Ableton 11.2 less stable than 11.0 on M1 Macs?

Post by hologroove » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:23 am

swingsetcommittee wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:07 pm
I've been happily running Ableton 11.0 via Rosetta on my M1 Max MBP mostly because of the massive number of plugins, presets, and effect chains I have that no longer open since 11.1. I'm finally biting the bullet and making the switch to 11.2.11, hoping for a performance boost.

However, right out the gate, I'm noticing 11.2 crashes significantly more often than 11.0. I also get error messages about Ableton "losing connection to AU v2" plugins that I never had in 11.0. I'm finding myself getting anxious during sessions because of the frequency of crashes, and it's really messing with the workflow.

Has anyone else noticed this coming from 11.0 to 11.2?

For the record, I'm running macOS Monterey, using an Apollo 8P, Audient ASP 800 (via ADAT), and UAD-2 Satellite. All plugins are legit and fully updated.
I have the same experience on my M1 MacBook Pro under macOS Monterey 12.7.2 (and also had the same under Big Sur). I am troubleshooting a very annoying crash: sometimes Live crashes when I close the window of a 3rd party plugin. (Either with clicking the close button of the window or by pressing ESC while the plugin window is in focus). I have tried narrowing it down what might cause it but it's not related to a specific plugin or manufacturer. Nor plugin format (AU, VST, VST3). I tried running Live natively or using Rosetta, still crashing. Tried installing the Intel-only version of Live with the same results.

I tried installing older versions of Live and the only version where I can't reproduce the crash is: 11.0.12 --> the last version which was not M1 native but Intel-only. (btw this gave me the idea to try the Intel-only of the latest Live but that is also crashing)

I have a support ticket for this and I hope it gets solved. Or that it gets better in Live 12 ...