Is it safe to reorganise my VST folder into subfolders?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Is it safe to reorganise my VST folder into subfolders?

Post by Citizen » Mon May 22, 2023 1:36 am

I want to organise my VST folder into subcategories (reverbs, delays, synths etc), so it is faster to find what I'm looking for.

Is it safe to do so? Also, can this be done with AU/Components and VST3?

I'm on Mac OSX, and in a test with a non-critical VST, when I created a folder and copied it in, it seemed to work — although by default it still left a duplicate in the original location.

Has anyone done this? I don't want to do it and find that I've totally screwed the way things work — possibly this would be an issue with something like Kontakt, that has to connect to sample libraries and other files?

pottering

Re: Is it safe to reorganise my VST folder into subfolders?

Post by pottering » Mon May 22, 2023 1:49 am

Yes with VST2, kinda pointless with VST3 and AU since their parent folders don't show up like VST2.
♥♥♥

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon May 22, 2023 2:01 am

pottering wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:49 am
Yes with VST2, kinda pointless with VST3 and AU since their parent folders don't show up like VST2.
Ah, OK, cool. Even that would be an improvment!

Also, this is what ChatGPT had to say on the matter:

'It is generally not recommended to reorganize the VST plug-in folder in Ableton or any other digital audio workstation (DAW) on macOS. The default location for VST plug-ins is typically in the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST" folder, and altering this structure can lead to various issues.

Here are a few reasons why you should avoid reorganizing the VST plug-in folder:

Compatibility: Many VST plug-ins rely on a specific folder structure and file paths to function correctly. If you move plug-ins into subfolders or change their locations, Ableton may not be able to locate and load them properly.

Updates: When you install updates or new versions of plug-ins, they usually overwrite existing files in the default installation directory. If you have moved the plug-ins, the update process may not work as intended, potentially causing conflicts or errors.

Presets and settings: Plug-ins often store presets, settings, and other data in specific locations relative to their installation folder. If you move the plug-ins, it may result in broken links or an inability to access and save presets.

Troubleshooting: If you encounter issues with specific plug-ins, technical support and online resources may assume a default installation path. Modifying the folder structure could complicate the troubleshooting process and make it harder to find solutions.

Instead of reorganizing the VST plug-in folder, it's generally best to leave it as it is and manage your plug-ins within Ableton's interface. Ableton provides a built-in browser that allows you to organize and categorize your plug-ins effectively. You can create custom folders and collections within Ableton's browser to arrange and access your plug-ins in a way that suits your workflow.

If you want to keep your plug-ins organized on your system, you could create a separate folder outside the default VST location to store your plug-in installers or archives. This way, you can keep track of your plug-in files without affecting Ableton's ability to locate and load them correctly.'

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:38 am

The compatibility one is a big one. I haven’t really toyed with moving plugins on my Mac, but when I did it on windows I was careful to not move them from where I installed them.

Instead, I usually made shortcuts and put the shortcuts in folders for organization. Unfortunately, that did break during a few versions of Live.

Rather than moving the files around, it might be better to reinstall the files to your preferred directories. I guess it depends on which kinds of plugins they are. Some really are so simple you just need the basic file. Others have very complex things working with them, and moving it from the installed location just makes it stop working.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Yeah, I think given this, and ChatGPTs warnings — I will just leave things alone.

A pity — cause I really want to make my VSTs easier to navigate and be organised!