Drift modulation options - HUUUUUGE missed opportunity!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rydan

Drift modulation options - HUUUUUGE missed opportunity!!

Post by rydan » Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 pm

Trying out Drift, and it pretty quickly dawns on me that pretty much every single parameter that makes Drift unique-ish and I would like to be able to modulate, isn't possible to modulate.

The most interesting thing about Drift, i m h o, is Env2 cycle mode and audio-rate capabilities. Since ENV2 is available as mod-source for pretty much everything, you ge a pretty unique shapeable modulator for OSC AM, FM and Filter FM. Not all that many non-modular synths have that. Great! However. For that to actually be as great as it could have been, you'd need to be able to modulate Tilt and Hold of Env2, and, perhaps even more importantly the AMOUNT of modulation of pitch, amplitude and FM. Say for instance you want to modulate the amount of Env2-filter-fm using modwheel. You can't. Use the per-vioce-random-lfo or note velocity to modulate amount of FM? You can't. And that behaviour you can't even get by automation, since you can't automate per note/voice. Hell, you can't even use velocity to control the amount of FilterEnv-modulation when using env2 as a regular filter envelop. Such a shame that drift falls soooo far behind what it could have been with just a little bit more versatile mod routings. Basically just a few VCA:s...

Please PLEASE add more mod-matrix slots, and make the AMOUNTS of modulation (for pitch mod, osc amplitudes and filter mod) a selectable modulation target. (And also add mod targets for the Tilt and Hold params...) Or, at the very least, add an "Amount"-knob with a mod slot for ENV2, just like the LFO has.
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se