MIDI QUANTIZE: Any features like Cubase

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IMage_Engine

MIDI QUANTIZE: Any features like Cubase

Post by IMage_Engine » Thu May 11, 2023 5:41 am

Its rare that I use midi but I generally like doing certain instruments all realtime for feel
Some percussive type stuff, I like to set a capture grid in cubase and just use incremental groove quantise just to tighten the on beat 1/4 notes.
ie any notes that are outside the capture zone are dragged back slightly with each press to bring them closer to on beat...anything already in the capture area is left unnaffected. This part of the standard quantize pallete but you can of course get a lot more zoned in with Logical editor...

My question; is this type of thing possible in Ableton? Quantise panel/groove doesnt have a lot of options (ie is stuff hidden)?

Cheers

jlgrimes

Re: MIDI QUANTIZE: Any features like Cubase

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 13, 2023 11:14 am

IMage_Engine wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:41 am
Its rare that I use midi but I generally like doing certain instruments all realtime for feel
Some percussive type stuff, I like to set a capture grid in cubase and just use incremental groove quantise just to tighten the on beat 1/4 notes.
ie any notes that are outside the capture zone are dragged back slightly with each press to bring them closer to on beat...anything already in the capture area is left unnaffected. This part of the standard quantize pallete but you can of course get a lot more zoned in with Logical editor...

My question; is this type of thing possible in Ableton? Quantise panel/groove doesnt have a lot of options (ie is stuff hidden)?

Cheers
I believe you are talking about "window".

Ableton doesn't have anything like that. You can check if M4l have some more advanced quantize midi effects but I haven't heard of any device.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Fri May 19, 2023 4:00 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:14 am
IMage_Engine wrote:

Cheers

Ableton doesn't have anything like that. You can check if M4l have some more advanced quantize midi effects but I haven't heard of any device.
Yeah that kind of thing...thanks for the reply...ah well...just do it over in cubase I guess

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 27, 2023 2:07 pm

IMage_Engine wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:00 am
jlgrimes wrote:
IMage_Engine wrote:

Cheers

Yeah that kind of thing...thanks for the reply...ah well...just do it over in cubase I guess

Yeah while I generally do well with Ableton's quantize, it does lack some more sophisticated features that I miss in certain programs like Logic and even Reaper.

Generally I love the nondestructive mode of their Quantize system. I hope they do a revamp someday.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Sat May 27, 2023 10:35 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:07 pm
IMage_Engine wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:00 am
jlgrimes wrote:

Yeah while I generally do well with Ableton's quantize, it does lack some more sophisticated features that I miss in certain programs like Logic and even Reaper.

Generally I love the nondestructive mode of their Quantize system. I hope they do a revamp someday.
Yeah I think the more you mature in actual playing, the more you become sensitive to feel and the less want to disturb the actual take. Usually ie using a grid of just certain subtle movements (not groove).

Cubase is pretty much fully non destructive so I only have come to notice the lack. Since its quantise is for both audio its complex to learn but simple to use. Ableton was simple to learn but hard to use...because of the lack.

Im more using ableton for the sketch pad now...even the mixing paradigm on not being able to simply use surround tracks (which I use for eg surround reverb > stereo) makes it really difficult for acoustic/world music where a single cohesive (but mulitchannel) space is needed.

But each package has its pros/cons :-)