What’s to come next for push 3 standalone?

Discuss Push with other users.
binarysun

What’s to come next for push 3 standalone?

Post by binarysun » Sun May 28, 2023 6:38 pm

Tbh I am currently a tad disappointed of the standalone mode because it’s not standalone at all if most things have to be prepared in the box to use it without the box. If you want to use any external midi device, then the current feature set is below basic. And I feel even an MVP is not really met yet when it comes to midi and some features like naming things and much more. At least for that price and here comes the crux for me. I don’t feel a push standalone is worth 2k for me yet. So I am going to send it back a see how it develops over the next probably one year. But then I see a lot of potential in this device. But just keeping it for its potential seems a bit much if I don’t know the direction into which the Push will develop. Especially since it’s still a lot of money that is just gone and knowing how long software dev cycles are it could take at least another year until it’s halfway standalone. Is there a list or blog post or anything where one can see the strategy that Ableton is having in mind with this?

I don’t even have many things that I am missing but these things are essential for me to use it standalone:
- custom naming of projects, clips, tracks and midi devices
- program change per clip
- easy way to backup the contents of the internal NVMe
- eventually: USB Class Compliant 32/32 Audio interface support. 8 adat channels is nice but not nearly enough imho.

That’s all. I don’t need that much more for starters but these things are essential for me to make it a viable product. Does anyone have an idea before I will send it back on Tuesday?

Sorry to bring the buzz down with this post just waking up from the immense hype

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: What’s to come next for push 3 standalone?

Post by [jur] » Sun May 28, 2023 7:35 pm

Thx for the feedback, that's valuable :wink:
Ableton never communicates about future plans, so don't expect anything in this area.

- You can rename projects/sets/tracks/clips from the unit already.
- Program changes, I think you were part of the discussion in dedicated topic...
- Backups: from Continuity (the Push place in Live's Browser) you can simply copy the whole content (Projects + User Library) here in one go and paste in another folder on your computer (via Live's Browser).
- I think some class compilant USB audio interface actually already work, but I'm not 100% sure and not aware of any potential list. So don't quote me on this.
Ableton Forum Moderator

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Sun May 28, 2023 8:40 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:35 pm
Thx for the feedback, that's valuable :wink:
Ableton never communicates about future plans, so don't expect anything in this area.
Thanks for the quick answer. :) And yeah I figured that. No company does. It would be more about a general mission goal like “we want to make it a complete standalone unit that does not need a computer” or anything
[jur] wrote:
- You can rename projects/sets/tracks/clips from the unit already.
Alright I found it in the manual. Was misguided by the numerous reviews that said it’s not possible yet.
[jur] wrote:
- Program changes, I think you were part of the discussion in dedicated topic...
Yes I was/am. I also supplied a workaround. But I hope it’s not the final solution
[jur] wrote:
- Backups: from Continuity (the Push place in Live's Browser) you can simply copy the whole content (Projects + User Library) here in one go and paste in another folder on your computer (via Live's Browser).
You are right. Would be cool to just connect it and let my backup tool do the job though.
[jur] wrote:
- I think some class compilant USB audio interface actually already work, but I'm not 100% sure and not aware of any potential list. So don't quote me on this.
Is there a manual that tells what needs to happen or what would happen if an interface was recognized? Is it similar to when adat is connected?

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Tue May 30, 2023 7:10 am

Please:
- program change
- follow actions
- warp markers

for a truly stand-alone midi sequencer
Last edited by TheLoudest on Tue May 30, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 30, 2023 2:30 pm

I think it helps if people remember this is PUSH Standalone, not Ableton Live standalone. More functionality will definitely be coming, but Push was never intended to have every single feature of Live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

weston underwood

Post by weston underwood » Tue May 30, 2023 8:00 pm

-program change
- follow actions
- warp markers

I don't think these are in anyway the deeper recesses of Live. Entirely part of the core function. Without the top two it's properly standalone in any real sense. To not be able to do program changes and follow actions (+/- warp marker)s is honestly a bit suboptimal. Without those you've really got to question the value proposition of the much more expensive standalone version. The first two shouldn't be too hard to code I'd have thought.

I'm probably being salty about my issues with it lagging and being unusable with my cheese grater Mac! I was so excited as I took it out of the box!

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Wed May 31, 2023 7:03 am

Yes, I too think these are essential features.
it's not superfluous...
These functions existed long before Push (program change has been around since when? 1983? :wink: ).

These points should have been taken into account before announcing a "stand-alone" product.
They should have thought of the classic use cases, and if Push is to be at the center of a setup of several devices communicating in midi, sending PC/MSB/LSB is crucial.

We don't have access to the arrangement window? OK
But at least give us the possibility of having follow actions that can replace a "song mode".

It's not a question of whether it's difficult to code or not. It's not even a question of "implementing" these functions, since they already exist.
I believe there's a complete Ableton Live with Push, right?
(including the arrangement mode that works underneath)
it's just that Push doesn't have "access" to all the functions
So it's more a question of :
- agreeing to give access to this or that function via Push
- thinking/working on the UI of these functions in Push

sinik

Post by sinik » Wed May 31, 2023 7:49 am

i dont think it's necessary to have a full fledged arrangement view on a small sampler/groovebox, thats not what its meant for.
but i would love to see follow actions and bpm change possibilities.

those would be my feature requests for push 3 standalone:
– follow actions / bpm changes
– advanced drum racks / sample layering in drum racks
– warp markers / free warping not tied to bars

M.a.r.k

Post by M.a.r.k » Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 am

I dunno if it's just not an option but why can we slide left and right but not up and down? I think the development of Max would be very good because it builds on momentum. If it can also support ethernet, I'd like to see audiogridder integration/if possible. Arrangement view? I think the broader issue is people wanting to chain patterns together. I think someone says they've made a max for live device for this kind of thing and the ability to get it into arranger in live.

warper

Post by warper » Wed May 31, 2023 9:25 am

binarysun wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:38 pm

I find your contribution very appropriate and balanced, even if I personally may have other priorities like you. I fear that possibly many users, like you, full of good will, are disappointed by the status of the Push.
I'm not a businessman, but I could imagine that as a company you also have to say at some point: "this thing has to go out now, even if it's not finished, not optimal". Ableton, to my mind, has had ups and downs over the years, good and bad updates and developments, but overall I find Ableton's work very consistent and forward thinking. This in mind, I "believe" and hope for a good development of Push, which is already quite potent, even if not yet fully developed.

Perhaps the first thing Ableton should do is to extend the return period from 30 days to, perhaps, half a year? in order to give ambitious and objectively arguing users like you the opportunity to observe and help shape the development.