"Stretching" vs... ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
-andrew-

"Stretching" vs... ??

Post by -andrew- » Mon May 29, 2023 1:35 pm

Not sure about the terminology in Ableton yet, so please bear with me...

Trying to figure out a few things for ambient music.

In Reaper, you can play / import pretty much anything & then opt-drag (mac) the end of the clip out as far as you like, which "streches" the clip out. This works for both audio and MIDI segments.

For example, I can record a MIDI chord for 2 seconds, keep it held down while adding another note for two seconds, stop recording, then opt-drag the end out to 10 minutes. This then re-creates as a 10 minute clip where the added midi note starts at 5 minutes.

I looked up stretching, warping, etc. and thought I understood how to use each one, but... I don't.

How can this be done in Ableton?

TIA

yur2die4

Re: "Stretching" vs... ??

Post by yur2die4 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:17 pm

Live has similar functions but might have a different approach. With midi clips especially, it’s a little weird.

You are able to stretch and warp audio clips either by dragging the edge or by doing warping. Warping is done in relation to the tempo of the project.

With midi, you cannot stretch out the clip from an external view. You must go into clip properties and either hand drag some Tags that appear when the notes are selected, or use the multiplication clip length buttons to repeatedly multiply the overall length of everything.