Waveform zoom in Clip view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
SKerkewitz

Waveform zoom in Clip view

Post by SKerkewitz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi,

this may be a stupid question but i was unable to find anything in the manual nor in the forum.

Is is possible to increase/zoom the waveform in the clip view in the vertical direction only? The problem is that is you have a very quite wave file the waveform nearly looks like a flat horizontal line. This makes it very hard to use features like timestreching etc. I can not just increase the volume of the the wave file because it is the source waveform for NI Guitarrig and would be create heavy overs if i would do so.

I know this is easily done in Cubase, so i hope i'm just to stupid to find the solution.

ethios4

Re: Waveform zoom in Clip view

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:50 pm

There's no built in way to do this. I've run into this problem before also. I usually boost the gain in the clip until I can see the waveform properly, then put a Utility plugin first in the effects chain that lowers the gain by the same amount.

SKerkewitz

Post by SKerkewitz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks for your reply!

So this is definitiv a missing feature and i hope they will fix it in Live9 (together with the missing full x64 support).

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:16 pm

you can drag the details tab up into the clip grid - this will make the waveform display larger and in effect zoom in a bit.

Alternatively, use the clip volume to "zoom in", then put a utility first thing in the effects chain - use that to reduce the volume by the required amount to avoid overs in Guitar Rig or whatever else.
I've just tested this with a drum loop boosted by 12dB so that it appears clipped horribly into a near flat waveform, cut by 18dB with a utility, and resampled into another clip. Live's internal audio engine is capable of sorting this sort of thing out without me having to worry about it.

edit: oops, ethios said that already. S'a perfectly acceptable workaround to me.

M1ndbl0w

Post by M1ndbl0w » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:24 am

Im doing it too via clip gain or I switch to pro tools / soundforge to do it. But its really shitty to go out of the workflow only to zoom in :(
Please Ableton: Add Vertical Zoom for every kind of waveform ... When Im listening through field recordings in arrangement view, I want to cut them and see quickly where there is something and when not.
And I think, there are many many more who also work often with silent samples or audiofiles of whatever kind and need this feature ...
Im hoping Ableton 10 will have this fixed ;)

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 am

Bump...

Waveform automation (volume, pitch, etc) still needs scrolling up and down. I wish we could just zoom out vertically so we could access the full automation range without having to scroll each time.

seb30303

Post by seb30303 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:50 pm

Bump on this. It's the most painful part about editing audio in Live that I can't see the details of the quiet parts.

The workaround of turning up the clip gain doesn't really work for me - most often I just want to quickly zoom in right down to the noise floor when trimming clips, espcially with slow attacks. Then I want to zoom back to default. It's not a solution to permanently raise the clip gain and reduce in the effects chain.

brockmra

Post by brockmra » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:17 am

Another bump here. Absolutely the most irritating non-feature in Live.

Mderze

Post by Mderze » Wed May 10, 2023 11:12 am

BUMMMMPPPPPP

goldfuchs

Post by goldfuchs » Wed May 31, 2023 9:59 am

Jupp a bump from me too!

Nicky G.dj

Post by Nicky G.dj » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:15 pm

I think it's a very simple thing for you to do. I'm already using this feature!
I mapped the zoom up and down to my mouse wheel and it works great.
Now I have the same zoom on the waveform that I have in the Adobe Audition CC and it's fast and very productive.