"Hide/Show Detail View" deserves a better shortcut

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jmljunior

"Hide/Show Detail View" deserves a better shortcut

Post by jmljunior » Fri May 19, 2023 6:01 pm

"Hide/Show Detail View" deserves a better shortcut than option+cmd+L. It's basically hide/show the piano roll which is a crucial DAW function.

I'm glad to see that ableton FINALLY added single key shortcuts in 11 (even though I'm still on 10) for crucial functions like soloing and arming tracks. But there are still some outliers that need to be remapped to single key shortcuts.

Crucial shortcuts that require modifier keys are ridiculous in a program that is not based around typing. It's bad UI/UX, period.

In fact, Ableton really needs a ROBUST and FULLY MAPPABLE keyboard shortcut scheme like logic has where everything is remappable to single keys. The "key" mapping button often falls short.

scg

Re: "Hide/Show Detail View" deserves a better shortcut

Post by scg » Wed May 24, 2023 1:52 pm

Agreed. Option-command-L (or windows equivalent) is awkward to type (in fact a lot of the option-command shortcuts are a bit awkward). I think there might be a workaround on Mac via the OS (which I haven't tried), but it'd be nice if keyboard shortcuts were fully customizable as in Logic.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri May 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Get Keyboard Maestro and define your own. I use the numeric keypad for all the interface stuff.

scg

Post by scg » Fri May 26, 2023 6:50 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:15 pm
Get Keyboard Maestro and define your own. I use the numeric keypad for all the interface stuff.
Sure, that's a solution, but there's still something to be said for in-app solutions (like Logic's custom keymapping).

In any case, from my perspective at least it's not at all a big deal. Just a 'wish list' type of thing.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue May 30, 2023 7:33 pm

No one more than I would like to see all the commands opened up for keyboard shortcuts and for them to be user defined. But as it seems Ableton has no intention of doing this, I gave up and found another way. I forgot to mention AutoHotKey for Windows.

jmljunior

Post by jmljunior » Wed May 31, 2023 6:59 pm

scg wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:52 pm
Agreed. Option-command-L (or windows equivalent) is awkward to type (in fact a lot of the option-command shortcuts are a bit awkward). I think there might be a workaround on Mac via the OS (which I haven't tried), but it'd be nice if keyboard shortcuts were fully customizable as in Logic.
Mac has some keyboard shortcut functionality in Preferences, but it's Apple so of course they don't allow you to map shortcuts to single keys, EXCEPT function keys.

So I've remapped "Hide/Show Detail View" to F1. Not ideal, but gives me the single key shortcut I wanted.

Complicated/awkward shortcuts are really bad for the hands, esp if you've been typing for years. Not to mention how much they slow down workflow. I really wish Ableton would do a complete workflow audit of Live. Adding single key shortcuts for global arm/solo was a huge step in the right direction, but how did that take 20 years? Are the makers of this program even using it? :wink:

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:59 pm

Multi-key shortcuts are also a real pain when you have an instrument in your hand such as a guitar.