Routing a send/return to external audio fx push 3

Discuss Push with other users.
medenine

Routing a send/return to external audio fx push 3

Post by medenine » Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am

I’m trying to figure out out where to send out out from, the headphone jack? Or would it have to be via Adat?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Routing a send/return to external audio fx push 3

Post by [jur] » Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am

I didn't try, but yeah, it should work with the headphones out, just make sure to set it to a different output pair VS the Mains.
Ableton Forum Moderator

medenine

Post by medenine » Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 pm

I tried setting up a return track, but there are no options for input (perhaps just the inputs 1 and 2 are default?), and output has no option to send to the headphones out. When I send through the headphones out I get the whole mix. The only way I can imagine it working is through adat to an audio interface, and I already ordered one for input, I’d prefer not to get another just yet!

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:43 am

Will the Push Standlone even allow such routing?
I have a feeling this is something that unfortunately needs to be done within Ableton where each track Input/output can be set to a physical output of your choice?

Maybe if it’s set in the project in Ableton on the computer then imported to Push, it might possibly work on the standalone.

Anyone?

Ableton have a lot of work to do to port some desperately needed features over.
If it’s advertised and sold as standalone, it should allow to do something as basic as external fx send/return

xrcst

Post by xrcst » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:06 pm

Currently P3S doesn’t have the routing option for external effect device. Only option is to set it up on a computer and move the project over to Standalone.

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:20 pm

Ok thanks. That is seriously lacking.
Do you think it could technically be implemented with the current hardware? What’s the point in having adat if you can’t route stuff directly (direct monitoring Tx to a dsp à la Motu or Focusrite wouldn’t go astray either)

xrcst

Post by xrcst » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:45 pm

Well it works just fine with adat or internal in/outs.
The only hiccup is you have to set up the routing in a computer before going standalone. And you can’t change the routing after.
Other option would be to route it via audio tracks, not the external effects device, so:
Audio track 1 sends audio to external out of your choice.
Audio track 2 is set to monitor input from your physical input of choice.
I’m working on a video explaining all the options, will have it ready in a couple of days hopefully.

medenine

Post by medenine » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:43 pm

I was thinking of a similar solution by routing audio. That would be great to see. I don't really mind setting up things in Live as a one time sort of thing.

xrcst

Post by xrcst » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:25 am

I put together a video tutorial on how to use the effects (routing has to be setup on a computer with current firmware)

https://youtu.be/7i_voqSrW2Q

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:09 pm

thanks, xrcst, this was very helpful.
For anyone grumbling about setting things up on the computer, keep in mind that he's giving the presets very descriptive names which are moved back onto the Push3S. It's a one-time inconvenience. From there, you just hot swap the preset if you need a different routing.

You could get fancier, I guess, and consider your gain staging ahead of the game, but I think that depends on the pedal, along with anything else you might be sending through them. Maybe group it with some other things you'd want on an audio channel strip? Or if you know that you are always using a Utility device for track trim settings (and not the track volume) or that it's going to go through an analog mixer, you'd compensate with the EXT Send Output for your default track attenuation.

braduro

Post by braduro » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:49 pm

FollowUp Q:
Could you create the FX loop using Hardware Outputs 1-2 instead of Headphone Out3-4?
Then use headphone out as the Main Out?
If so, what would the Output settings be on the Push?

Seems like it should be obvious, and yet it's just as easy for me to make a feedback loop by mistake.