How to fit my BPM to my guitar

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bacco_Bob

How to fit my BPM to my guitar

Post by Bacco_Bob » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:21 am

Hello, I'm new here.

I want to play guitar on my Ableton Live lite 11 and record it.
I can put my metronome on and I can change my BPM. But my problem is that I want to adjuist my BPM to what I am playing with my guitar.
If I put 120 BPM it's to fast. If i do 90 it's to slow. So how can i manage to find the BMP that fits bests?

It's also handy, because I want to cut and paste some peaces to put it after a selection. And therefore I have to cut it exact on one of those lines. But if my guitar is stopping a bit before (or after) a line, than the two peaces of guitar don't blend nice when I put them near eachother.

If I now what the best BPM is for the music that I've played, than normally when I stop playing a strophe, the guitar will stops on a line and then I can cut and past it where I want it, and it would blend good.

DunedinDragon

Re: How to fit my BPM to my guitar

Post by DunedinDragon » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:50 am

I have a small phone app that allows me to tap out a beat and it calculates my BPM. Unfortunately there's really no good workaround to establishing your BPM as a first step in recording if you want everything to work smoothly. Matching tempo to your guitar will be flaky at best since it's not very likely you'll maintain a consistent tempo while you play. Very few people can do that.