Switching between Global Quantization during a song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bishcock

Switching between Global Quantization during a song

Post by Bishcock » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 pm

Hi,
I'm new to forum, but not new to Live/Push. I'm trying to figure out a problem I have for months now.

Scenario:
1. Live bass starting a song (not me)
2. I have GQ set for none, as I have to hit the beat to the bass rythm
3. I press scene with a beat, all fine for now
4. I switch GQ from none to 1 bar, to launch other scenes
5. Next scene misses the beat - it does not start at the end of previous scene but a little further or before. Noticable.

I have no idea why is it like this. It's the olny song where I expierience such a behaviour. Clips are set to global quant, all warped and in right bpm.
Any thoughts?

Greetings!

yur2die4

Re: Switching between Global Quantization during a song

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:35 am

If you start with no quantization, your clip start is triggered at potentially any point of Live’s beat counter.

When you turn quantization back on to 1 bar, the clip triggering will not trigger with respect to the clip that’s currently playing but it’ll start with respect to the beat counter. Since the currently playing clip is not in line with the counter, the new clip being in line with the counter will definitely sound out of place.

A way around this might be with Legato turned on. But that opens a whole other can of worms. When you trigger the ‘start’ of a clip, it’ll actually just continue in the same position as where the off-beat clip left off. This might work out though if you’re triggering the next clip pretty close to the end of a bar of the already-playing clip

Bishcock

Re: Switching between Global Quantization during a song

Post by Bishcock » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:28 pm

Many thanks, I was warried that it can be Live's feature, not problem with clip. Well, I have to play it different.