Clean Install Tips

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TheOceanBeneath

Clean Install Tips

Post by TheOceanBeneath » Fri May 26, 2023 4:10 am

Hi all, just ordered the fastest SSD I could afford and use in my PC for switching all my samples and VST's on to so probably going to look at doing a clean install of Ableton as well. Looking for a bit of advise around installing the VST's seems to get messy very quick with every manufacturer wanting you to install their own portal and having varying different paths they will install to as default. What's everyone else doing here to keep things clean? Also VST/VST3 should we be installing both? I thought the VST3 may have performance variation but I'm not really noticing any, what's the cold facts on this?

Also with this new SSD being faster than the one I'm running Windows on would there be an advantage to installing Ableton to this drive instead? Not sure if it being a 2nd drive would have any baring on the speed of which the PC can load things in.

I think switching the samples over should be easy enough as I'm hoping to just rename the current drive they are held on and use the drive letter from that for the new one essentially making the file paths exactly the same once done.

Any advise on the VST installs and the drive I should be installing Live on appreciated.

Thanks

chris harbin

Re: Clean Install Tips

Post by chris harbin » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:09 pm

Well, back up EVERYTHING you do or think you might want. That will save a ton of time.

Be selective at first. Just install what you need and don't just go bonkers with stuff you are not using regularly. For example, I only use VST3 now so try not to install what you don't need.

Take photos of your preferences! It will save you a ton of time remembering.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.