track pans left by itself

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
broome

track pans left by itself

Post by broome » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:11 am

Noted a problem. Magical panning of a track, with no automation, no plugin automation, nothing... just pans to the left only. No the right.

So, I created a new session. with no tracks I added (doesn't matter if Audio or Midi, tried this both times). I added 10 audio tracks with no effects, nothing on the tracks. Did not mess with tempo. I knew it had to be in the top 10 tracks, because that's where my drums are. And...

without the play head moving the 8th Audio track will start to pan Left all by itself. Crazy.

Can't find anything on the web. Thought I'd try this forum. Hopefully someone will help.

Again, I tried everything to rule this out. But, with the play head stopped, the 8th track will pan. If I delete the track, the next will pan.

On other sessions I have to freeze and flatten the track, the new track doesn't pan (because I did not delete the frozen track... which is all the way hard 50L.

HELP!!!!

chapelier fou

Re: track pans left by itself

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 am

Unplug your midi controllers if you have any. Does it still happen ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

EdTrix

Post by EdTrix » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm

Hey man,

Its so weird I'm having exactly the same issue with track 8. Keeps panning all the way to the left for absolutely no reason at all.

Did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Many thanks

ellicottvilleny

Post by ellicottvilleny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:39 pm

You can just do what the first reply said, and unplug all USB and MIDI cables one by one until the problem goes away.

Once it goes away, start adding them back until the problem comes back.

Now, instead of actually removing the device, go into the PRefernces in live and just uncheck the REMOTE (which seems to be way to filter out ALL midi ccs) from the midi control surface that is causing it.

If you can still operate that way, then there may be other ways to filter out unwanted midi ccs. FOr instance if the midi cc is coming from your beatstep pro, you can go configure the beatstep pro to not have a knob mapped to the CC # for pan, and map it to something else.

In my case, I had this happen, it was a glitch inside my Midi 4x4 USB four port midi interface. I couldn’t get stray CCs to stop happening until I stopped using that interface.

In all complex studio rigs, you really do have to pull things apart to find what’s up. Dissect. Bisect. Etc.

I did a little googling and it doesn’t seem that Live has the powerful Midi Filtering capabilities of Cubase but you can do it with Max4Live devices.

It’s odd that you say only track 8 does this. Did you check the midi map to see if you’ve accidentally mapped some other midi CC # to do a track pan?

Dilly_Deelin

Post by Dilly_Deelin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:03 pm

This is happening to me too. With Ableton 11, I was able to right-click the track panning (in arrangement view) to show an option saying "Select Stereo Pan Mode." Once it switched and gave me control of both R+L channels, the problem stopped happening.

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi, same thing happened to me. It happens when my Arturia Keylab Essential is connected via USB. I would say that it´s caused by Arturia Keylab but i see not that you guys have the same issue. The most strange thing is that it happens also on Channel 8 and Panning "itself" to left. What controllers did you use when this happenes to you guys?

Thanks