Push 3S - Record External Instrument Automation - USB v MIDI Din

Discuss Push with other users.
oddeo

Push 3S - Record External Instrument Automation - USB v MIDI Din

Post by oddeo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:42 am

My focus right now is getting my hardware connections working and am having issues with recording automation through USB....

First I set up my Prophet 6, Minitaur, and TR-8S with P3S via the MIDI ins and outs on the back of the PS3. I was able to sequence notes on the PS3 and record knob automations done on the synths back into the P3S clip just fine.

Then I tried doing the same with USB. All three devices showed up fine on the P3S. I made all of the appropriate I/O,Track, Sync, Remote settings in the setup page, but when I try to record the automation being performed on the external instruments back into the clip nothing records.

Does anyone have any tips or insights on getting the incoming CC automation to record?

Getting USB working would be ideal so that the settings on the synths can stay there same when switching between standalone and computer use (just unplug from the P3S and plug back into the computer and vice versa).
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

jiggle

Re: Push 3S - Record External Instrument Automation - USB v MIDI Din

Post by jiggle » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:26 am

I think you need to make sure you selected "track" for the usb midi inputs in the midi settings page.
Failing that try saving your project and rebooting the Push, that's fixed it for me a few times.

Good luck

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:33 am

I also heard in a review by 2 German guys that the midi from the midi outs was good but that the midi via usb was incurring latency (therefore required a firmware update once Ableton fix it).
Anyone with that experience? I haven’t tried yet as I don’t have cables for it (thanks Ableton…)

jiggle

Post by jiggle » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:05 pm

The Roland cables work (available on amazon), also the Novation adapters that came with my lp mk3 work. Its hard to find working adapters on amazon, I was looking for ages this morning.

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:29 pm

Novation switched to the universal type (same as Korg and Roland ones) when launchpad mk3 and the likes came out, so for earlier equipment (original circuit, mono station etc), the polarity is different.

Novation told me their colourful cables are the other type but that their black cables (that come with the launchpad pro mk3 for example) are good to go.

As per Novation tech support (who kindly actually shipped me 2 of them for free as I have bought a lot of their products over the years , how sound was that- you can learn from this Ableton…), if you have Novation din to minijack cables from your Novation device, here is what type it is
Blue, Yellow, Orange - Type B
Black - Type A

Type A being the newer Novation/universal standard, which Ableton also use.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:26 pm

jiggle wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:26 am
make sure you selected "track" for the usb midi inputs
Can you expand on this?

In my experience, having track turned on for both the output and input will cause a midi feedback loop. Track was not turned on for the input when using the MIDI din to record automation. Is there something different about track when using USB?

Any insights are appreciated.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

Post by 102455 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm

jiggle wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:05 pm
Its hard to find working adapters on amazon
Yeah, I just had a look. The cheaper cables are described as MIDI but it seems the supplier is simply using the term to describe the 5 pin DIN connector. Apparently they're wired for audio, not MIDI.

randi

Post by randi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:16 pm

At least for the DSI / sequential synths, you can and have to select where cc/nrpn is being sent (midi din vs usb) . Did you switch this?

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:54 pm

jiggle wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:05 pm
I think you need to make sure you selected "track" for the usb midi inputs in the midi settings page.
Failing that try saving your project and rebooting the Push, that's fixed it for me a few times.
FYI, this was correct. I needed to turn Track on for the input when using USB. I did not get any MIDI feedback loop by doing so. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by oddeo on Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jiggle

Post by jiggle » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:23 pm

Glad its all working, sorry i didnt check the replies on here till now. Hope you are enjoying the push