Push 3 Standalone No Longer Boots

Discuss Push with other users.
cpelsor

Push 3 Standalone No Longer Boots

Post by cpelsor » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:36 pm

I finally got to use my Push 3 standalone this afternoon. Plugged in the power, went straight to update the software, rebooted no problem, then set out to download all of my packs after authorizing it. All of this went smoothly, no issues.

Then I went to try one of the plug-ins, had my headphones in but didn't hear anything. Turned all the volumes to max, still heard nothing, so I turned the device off and attempted to turn it on. Now, only the ADAT out port lights up and nothing else. No screen, no buttons light up. If I hold the power button down for 10 seconds the ADAT light goes out, and if I continue holding it, the save button lights up green. Other than that I have nothing.

Any advice on what to do (other than file a support ticket, which I have?)

resequenced

Re: Push 3 Standalone No Longer Boots

Post by resequenced » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:00 pm

cpelsor wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:36 pm
I finally got to use my Push 3 standalone this afternoon. Plugged in the power, went straight to update the software, rebooted no problem, then set out to download all of my packs after authorizing it. All of this went smoothly, no issues.

Then I went to try one of the plug-ins, had my headphones in but didn't hear anything. Turned all the volumes to max, still heard nothing, so I turned the device off and attempted to turn it on. Now, only the ADAT out port lights up and nothing else. No screen, no buttons light up. If I hold the power button down for 10 seconds the ADAT light goes out, and if I continue holding it, the save button lights up green. Other than that I have nothing.

Any advice on what to do (other than file a support ticket, which I have?)
Disclaimer: I'm just a customer as you are. I'm not associated with Ableton (nor with any other company which builds DAWs orhardware for DAWS).

Did you turn it off by pressing the power button and then confirming when the device prompted you to turn it off? If the device is in a state which allows graceful shutdown, my recommendation would be to always do it that way to avoid breaking something.

These devices run a small OS on them. They're similar to your computer's OS: they may lose data if powered off unsafely.

My personal recommendation is to reach out to support.

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 pm

So I've found two things you can do when booting this device up:
  • Holding the User Mode button (last button of the four buttons on the top-left, to the right of the "light bulb"/help button) while powering up, gives you troubleshooting options. Maybe try this and choose the "Start Push in recovery mode" option if you're able to get that far.
  • Side note: Holding the Shift button while powering on the unit up shows you the amount of battery left without actually booting up.
I have no idea if these options are documented somewhere, I just like to mess with my things, so I do random stuff until something breaks or I find something cool. I booted mine into Recovery and it worked fine, but I can't tell you what that actually does. My wifi settings were still intact in recovery mode, so I don't know how much is ignored or not loaded in this mode. I don't have any packs yet, so I can't say if those are still there in this mode.

If you're able to get in through recovery mode, maybe try uninstalling packs and reboot into regular mode and see if that fixes things. If it does, try installing the same packs one at a time, reboot, use them, repeat. Or you could go into Settings, Software, hold Shift and choose Reset Push. (you'll lose everything, though)

Or just ignore me, I honestly have no idea how this thing works. Poorly, I guess is how I would describe it at the moment. If I were Ableton, I'd be pushing out daily updates on this thing. Because it clearly needs them.
M1 Max 64GB RAM 4TB SSD; Volt 1; Push 3 Standalone

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:12 pm

no_barcode wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 pm
  • Holding the User Mode button (last button of the four buttons on the top-left, to the right of the "light bulb"/help button) while powering up, gives you troubleshooting options. Maybe try this and choose the "Start Push in recovery mode" option if you're able to get that far.
Before doing: if the User+power button options menu appears, I'd recommend to first try connecting it to your computer and switching to Controller mode. Sometimes that's enough to solve this type of bug.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 pm

no_barcode wrote:
I have no idea if these options are documented somewhere, I just like to mess with my things, so I do random stuff until something breaks or I find something cool. I booted mine into Recovery and it worked fine, but I can't tell you what that actually does. My wifi settings were still intact in recovery mode, so I don't know how much is ignored or not loaded in this mode. I don't have any packs yet, so I can't say if those are still there in this mode.
It removes all your content (i.e packs, projects etc...) so you're better off saving stuff before doing a recovery.
I'm surprised your wifi did get remembered, it should also be scrapped by the recovery...
Ableton Forum Moderator

no_barcode

Post by no_barcode » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:27 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:15 pm
no_barcode wrote:
It removes all your content (i.e packs, projects etc...) so you're better off saving stuff before doing a recovery.
I'm surprised your wifi did get remembered, it should also be scrapped by the recovery...
Ah, I see. Recovery seems like something that should just "not load" things so that you can get in and fix stuff, then reboot. Reset I can see being the option to wipe everything. That's a pretty harsh "Recovery" mode. But whatever works, I guess. I just tested it again, and it does connect to my wifi in recovery mode.
M1 Max 64GB RAM 4TB SSD; Volt 1; Push 3 Standalone

cpelsor

Post by cpelsor » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 am

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:12 pm
no_barcode wrote:
Before doing: if the User+power button options menu appears, I'd recommend to first try connecting it to your computer and switching to Controller mode. Sometimes that's enough to solve this type of bug.
That’s for the tips everyone. The issue is that the screen doesn’t come on at all, and as such I can’t even choose a mode to boot into. I also tried plugging it into my computer and then turning it on, but the computer doesn’t see it, so there’s that.

It’s incredibly frustrating to say the least. In an ideal world there’d be at least a bootable USB image I could use to roll the SSD back to default without any intervention from my side, but my feeling is I’ll be sending this back. :(

danieljodeci

Post by danieljodeci » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 pm

cpelsor wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 am
[jur] wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:12 pm
no_barcode wrote:
That’s for the tips everyone. The issue is that the screen doesn’t come on at all, and as such I can’t even choose a mode to boot into. I also tried plugging it into my computer and then turning it on, but the computer doesn’t see it, so there’s that.

It’s incredibly frustrating to say the least. In an ideal world there’d be at least a bootable USB image I could use to roll the SSD back to default without any intervention from my side, but my feeling is I’ll be sending this back. :(
Similar thing happened to mine, though it never booted up to begin with. Ableton had me send it back, and will ship one out in two weeks due to “logistical reasons.”

cpelsor

Post by cpelsor » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm

danieljodeci wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:16 pm
Similar thing happened to mine, though it never booted up to begin with. Ableton had me send it back, and will ship one out in two weeks due to “logistical reasons.”
Fun! :?

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:05 am

Sounds to me like the bootloader gets corrupt in certain cases.

I get they dont want people poking around in their OS but having a bootable image would make life so much easier for the tech savy.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:30 pm

I had a similar issue with my new Push 3S yesterday while setting it up. First thing I did was update the OS to 1.1.1 and then it would either not turn on at all, or repeatedly crash loading whatever default set it shipped with creating a weird reboot/crash loop. Spent about 4 hours trying to get it to work, then finally unplugged everything and went for a walk to calm down.

A couple hours later I tried again and for whatever reason it booted up fine and has been working since then. Weird and frustrating for sure.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

zenkick

Post by zenkick » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:57 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:05 am
I get they dont want people poking around in their OS but having a bootable image would make life so much easier for the tech savy.
+1
Suite, Push 1, Push 2, Push Standalone

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:45 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:30 pm
I had a similar issue with my new Push 3S yesterday while setting it up. First thing I did was update the OS to 1.1.1 and then it would either not turn on at all, or repeatedly crash loading whatever default set it shipped with creating a weird reboot/crash loop. Spent about 4 hours trying to get it to work, then finally unplugged everything and went for a walk to calm down.

A couple hours later I tried again and for whatever reason it booted up fine and has been working since then. Weird and frustrating for sure.
I don't know if the controller side of the device and its firmware control the boot process of the NUC compute element. It appears to be the case from what I've read here. This device should have the means to rewrite the firmware to the SSD, even if it's a manual process. Having the devices shipped across borders just to have a few gigabytes of data written to its SSD is ridiculous.

bodom76

Post by bodom76 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:30 pm

Just went though what you did. It said "push is updating the firmware..." once I finally got it to load. To get to that screen from a blank one with nothing, I actually wiggled the power cable going into it. So reading that you unplugged everything makes me wonder if you did the same thing essentially.

Anyway now I am on 1.1 and it's working.

blacklabel251

Post by blacklabel251 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:38 am

Hi y'all, I am having the same issue with my non-standalone Push 3. The screen won't turn on and the green Save light turns on after holding the power for 10s. I submitted a ticket to Ableton and I'm waiting to hear back. Did anyone find a fix for this issue?