Operator v2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
antic604

Operator v2

Post by antic604 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:51 pm

Do you guys think it's possible Ableton's working on a new version of Operator?

Since v11 came out with MPE, they've updated Simpler, Sampler, Wavetable, Collision and Electric. But not Operator. This makes me hopeful they're indeed working on a new version of it. What I'd like to see:
  • matrix-based algorithm designer, like in FL's Sytrus or Bitwig's FM-4, where you design the "routing" by yourself; obviously it'd have to have standard Operator routings included as "presets"
  • a per-voice modulation section with envelopes, LFOs and MSEGs, like Wavetable has
  • a full MPE support, allowing to assign pressure, slide and bend to all parameters, per-voice
  • a pop-up GUI like Wavetable
What you guys think? What would YOU like to see there?

jlgrimes

Re: Operator v2

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:21 am

I think so.

It explains why MPE wasn't added to Operator. They have bigger plans for it.

FM is popular these days and MPE would be cool with FM.

I'm guessing a bigger GUI (a la Wavetable), MPE, Possibly more Operators, more Routings, morphable Waveforms.

Neuro... No Neuro

Post by Neuro... No Neuro » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:51 pm
Do you guys think it's possible Ableton's working on a new version of Operator?

Since v11 came out with MPE, they've updated Simpler, Sampler, Wavetable, Collision and Electric. But not Operator. This makes me hopeful they're indeed working on a new version of it. What I'd like to see:
  • matrix-based algorithm designer, like in FL's Sytrus or Bitwig's FM-4, where you design the "routing" by yourself; obviously it'd have to have standard Operator routings included as "presets"
  • a per-voice modulation section with envelopes, LFOs and MSEGs, like Wavetable has
  • a full MPE support, allowing to assign pressure, slide and bend to all parameters, per-voice
  • a pop-up GUI like Wavetable
What you guys think? What would YOU like to see there?
Operator is pretty strong as it is, but one thing that would be nice is the ability to modulate the additive partials. I tried a couple of ways to do that, and neither worked. It seems they are not able to be modulated. Why this would be nice: long, slow evolving pads of reduced harmonic material. There's a synth for sale on the Ableton site called Dark Synth that can do this particular sound I'm looking for, but with Operator's low usage of CPU, I'd rather just work with that. 64 partials is enough (I'm fine with 16 and 32, primarily), any more above that and I can't hear the difference anyway :D

Here's the online tool I get to make the sounds I'm looking for: https://ryukau.github.io/UhhyouWebSynth ... index.html

1. Change the dropdown menu to "Additive"
2. Press "Random" button

I haven't found a synth here in Ableton that can make this sound accurately, except for possibly Dark Synth. $70 is a lot for a 'fingers crossed' maybe - no trial download.

Anyhow, that's all I would like added to Operator. It's a great synth, I use it for tons of sounds.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:32 am

Someone started a similar topic a couple days ago...
Ableton Forum Moderator