Latency Push Audio out and external midi Synthesizers.

Discuss Push with other users.
dest4b

Latency Push Audio out and external midi Synthesizers.

Post by dest4b » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:04 pm

Try the following:

On Push:

Create a Kick Track in Ableton ( 707 Core kit ) Kick on 4/4
Create a Midi Track With External Instrument and send 4/4 notes via Midi or USB to an external Synth of your choice. Short Attack !

Audio Path:
Connect Push3 Standalone to a External Mixer or a External Audiointerface of a Computer
Connect the Synth via Midi or USB to Push and Audio to an external Mixer or a External Audiointerface of a Computer

Start recording of both channels on a Computer

hit play.. stop record and zoom in ;)

In my case it is looking like that:

Last edited by dest4b on Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_________________________/
http://www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

dest4b

Re: Latency Push Audio out and external midi Synthesizers.

Post by dest4b » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:06 pm

Even if i fixed now my clock sync problem with my sampler trick ( other thread ) im not really able to use Push with my external gear :(

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:07 pm

I am not sure about Push3 as mine is on the way, but on my computer, the best way I know of to record an external synth is the use the "external instrument" device under instruments. This will require a midi out channel and a designated audio input. From here you can record midi. Then create a new audio track and set the audio input to point to the external instrument track. At this point you can try to record an audio clip and see how well that lines up with your other kick track. It should do rather well, but if it doesn't, you can try one more thing. Make sure this new audio track has the monitor set to off while you record the audio. If both of those methods still do not work, then the midi latency of your device could be too high. The only choice at that point is to start playing with negative track delay on the external instrument track. I do not think Push has the ability to adjust this setting. I would play around in controller mode using your push 3 audio in, but use your computer to play with the putting in negative track delay values, maybe 6ms to 12ms?

Once you get it working from the the daw screen, you could perhaps setup a template with the right delay, and then load it into your push and see if the track delay setting holds, I would think it should. I will be playing with all this once I get my push.

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:50 am

mhm i think it is a BUG.
Workaround:
I have solved it using a max4Lve plugin called midi delay. I added on the Midi track with a EXTERNAL instrument 17,5ms latency withit. Now the synth is in sync with pushs audio Out.

As you can read in my test instructions above i am using external instrument.

Feel free to use my instructions above to reproduce it

dest4b

Post by dest4b » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:50 am

If i work with External Instrument .. advice frim ableton
i have - 20ms ( negative ) latency regarding Pushs Audio Out.
If i use just an Midi track routed to the external Synth i have "only" - 11 ( negative !! ) latency regarding Pushs audio Out.

it seems External instrument shifts the midi timing 8ms to reduce latency ( maybe this 8ms is the internal latency and its added to align it ? if you use Push as Mixer and recorder ? )