two times my project file was deleted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Utomneian

two times my project file was deleted

Post by Utomneian » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:32 am

i don't even know what to expect from a forum post that could be helpful, and judging by the fact that only one other person in the history of using Ableton had a similar problem, but i don't use Mac, so idk if my situation even has the same issue as the previous person. i can't remember exactly step by step what happened the first time this happened, but the last time this happened, i was lurking on a Twitch stream, about 2 or 3 hours into a fresh project, and there was a pending update for Ableton.

i was ignoring the update until i was finished for the day, but all of a sudden my mouse disappeared, but only when in Ableton, and the program was starting to get random freezes, despite being no where near cap on RAM or CPU usage, so i decided to save and exit, let Ableton update, and dust off the new project. well i got back in, and the recent project was greyed out, even though i am certain i waited for it to save for 10 seconds before exiting, and the program didn't warn me that anything was unsaved.

this is just really demoralizing, knowing that since this is the second time something like this happened, now i feel like i have to stalk my project folders and make copies of the als files as i'm working on songs before i close the DAW. i'm not even sure if it's straight up wiping all the patches and samples either, so for all i know all these random files are still on my computer with no als file to utilize them, but i haven't checked my subfolders yet to see if this is the case.

sigh, idk, has anyone else with Windows 10 have any similar issues to this? or am i going through a problem that is more rare than the people allergic to water?

Rivanni

Re: two times my project file was deleted

Post by Rivanni » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:54 am

In what folder did you save the projects?

Utomneian

Post by Utomneian » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:21 am

in the subfolder of Projects, which has the name of the first project i made since reinstalling Windows. i just started copy pasting my als files to an alternate folder outside of Ableton's subfolders from now on as a precaution.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:52 am

That should prevent the issue from happening in the future.
Never save files inside Ableton's own folders.