PUSH 3, Bugs and features wishlist

Discuss Push with other users.
clmfrt

PUSH 3, Bugs and features wishlist

Post by clmfrt » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:15 am

Hello,

I've been using the new Push since its official release, and compiled a list of a few bugs I experienced, and features I'd like to see integrated.
I don't know if such a topic is appropriate in this section, but I will try to keep it clean, and update it regularly with whatever you'd want to add to the list :)

Bugs (standalone version) :
  • Crashes happen randomly when opening projects, capturing MIDI, deleting a device (it happens a lot with "Pitch hack")
  • Sometimes (seems to be random, but more likely after a crash and reboot), note editing mode doesn't work, and notes can't be selected with the jog wheel in the piano roll.
  • Sometimes some device's graphics are no more showing on the screen (like the auto filter visual feedback, or level meters), seems like it's in that state after a crash as well
  • Files with special characters in their name (such as "é") won't transfer from computer to Push - side note on this one : the french version of Live automatically renames frozen tracks with the "(gelé)" mention in the file's name, making it impossible to transfer some projects into push unless you manually rename each of these files ("(gel)" would be fine as a replacement))
  • When loading a sample from a collection, hot-swapping the sample won't recall the previous location in the browser
  • Hot-swapping a sample in simpler should keep the parameters of simpler intacts
  • It happens that "tempo" gets stuck on display when touching the encoder, as well as it does with "main output"
Bugs (controller version) :
  • (add yours)
Features wishlist :
  • Make possible to MIDI map external controllers on the fly (standalone)
  • Make follow actions accessible
  • Make possible to set different tempos and time signatures in different scenes
  • Make possible to access and switch between rack snapshots
  • There's some improvement possible in note editing mode, like the possibility to edit "nudge" and "length" fixed to grid (maybe this should be default, and off-grid fine tuning should be made possible by holding the shift button). Also make possible to extend or divide a selection of midi notes by 2, like in Live
  • Make possible to group (convert) a device/instrument in a rack
  • Make renaming collections possible
  • Option for making possible MPE pitch-bending between adjacent pads up and down
  • Possibility to set or remember some default settings (like for exemple if the touch strip should be in pitch bend or modwheel mode for some tracks)
  • Make possible to organise clips and move them around, instead of having to duplicate them
Last edited by clmfrt on Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

grein

Re: PUSH 3, Bugs and features wishlist

Post by grein » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:37 am

You should probably make clear if you’re talking about standalone or controller bugs. Most of them seem to affect standalone mode only, or I’ve just been fortunate not to encounter them (I own the controller version). :D

But it’s a good list, I’d love to see these feature enhancements trickle down eventually; integration of follow actions, better rack management and improved note editor at the top of my list.

medenine

Post by medenine » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:57 pm

I'd like to see what features users would like and find missing. Personally here are a few to start with:

- track playback modes: reverse, random (available on Live - I sorely miss this coming from Hapax sequencer)
- Always send clock to external track (my Perkons needs this)
- Ability to change melodic midi track to drum pads (to play external drum machines)
- Ability to modulate track tempo
- Send MPE missing
- add functionality for third party controllers like 16n faderbank
- Improve M4L integration

karlfranz

Post by karlfranz » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:12 pm

I'd like to be able to hold down the shift button while turning the jog wheel to allow scrolling through a list at 3X speed. Or perhaps make the jog wheel use acceleration so the faster you turn it, the faster you move though the list.

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:42 am

clmfrt wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:15 am
Hello,

I've been using the new Push since its official release, and compiled a list of a few bugs I experienced, and features I'd like to see integrated.
I don't know if such a topic is appropriate in this section, but I will try to keep it clean, and update it regularly with whatever you'd want to add to the list :)

Bugs (standalone version) :
  • Crashes happen randomly when opening projects, capturing MIDI, deleting a device (it happens a lot with "Pitch hack")
  • Sometimes (seems to be random, but more likely after a crash and reboot), note editing mode doesn't work, and notes can't be selected with the jog wheel in the piano roll.
  • Sometimes some device's graphics are no more showing on the screen (like the auto filter visual feedback, or level meters), seems like it's in that state after a crash as well
  • Files with special characters in their name (such as "é") won't transfer from computer to Push - side note on this one : the french version of Live automatically renames frozen tracks with the "(gelé)" mention in the file's name, making it impossible to transfer some projects into push unless you manually rename each of these files ("(gel)" would be fine as a replacement))
  • When loading a sample from a collection, hot-swapping the sample won't recall the previous location in the browser
  • Hot-swapping a sample in simpler should keep the parameters of simpler intacts
  • It happens that "tempo" gets stuck on display when touching the encoder, as well as it does with "main output"
  • (add yours)
Features wishlist :
  • Make possible to MIDI map external controllers on the fly (standalone)
  • Make follow actions accessible
  • Make possible to set different tempos and time signatures in different scenes
  • Make possible to access and switch between rack snapshots
  • There's some improvement possible in note editing mode, like the possibility to edit "nudge" and "length" fixed to grid (maybe this should be default, and off-grid fine tuning should be made possible by holding the shift button). Also make possible to extend or divide a selection of midi notes by 2, like in Live
  • Make possible to group (convert) a device/instrument in a rack
  • Make renaming collections possible
  • Option for making possible MPE pitch-bending between adjacent pads up and down
  • Possibility to set or remember some default settings (like for exemple if the touch strip should be in pitch bend or modwheel mode for some tracks)
  • Make possible to organise clips and move them around, instead of having to duplicate them

Have you sent your crash logs to Ableton? This forum is only helpful when it comes to sharing your experiences, asking other users for help and helping other users. Nobody from Ableton support will help us here. Feature requests are also likely to be ignored. They've ignored feature requests for Push 2 going back to 2017.

karlfranz wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:12 pm
I'd like to be able to hold down the shift button while turning the jog wheel to allow scrolling through a list at 3X speed. Or perhaps make the jog wheel use acceleration so the faster you turn it, the faster you move though the list.
Shift is already used for fine adjustment for the device settings and for the macro knobs of the existing or imported instrument racks. It wouldn't make sense to make it do the opposite in another context.

You can use the d-pad with arrows to move quickly from page to page for presets, devices and other content from the packs. The encoders above the display can be used to navigate faster through the content in the browser.

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:20 am

Here are mine (controller-only):
  • Sends disappear from the Mix button for all tracks; to get them back, I have to add a track
  • Attempting to see what happens if you hold a note in the sequencer and turn the jog wheel (hoping for nudge!) I actually get weird graphical corruption on the screen number text
  • Parameters on the eight encoders randomly disappear and I have to switch to another track and back again to get them back

clmfrt

Post by clmfrt » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:35 am

Have you sent your crash logs to Ableton? This forum is only helpful when it comes to sharing your experiences, asking other users for help and helping other users. Nobody from Ableton support will help us here. Feature requests are also likely to be ignored. They've ignored feature requests for Push 2 going back to 2017.
I do send every crash log to Ableton, yes! And I know this is very unlikely that this post will get any attention from any member of the Ableton team, I just thought it would be nice to gather in one place the user's feedback of the new push, and eventually send a full and comprehensive message to them once it feels exhaustive enough. Maybe pointless, maybe not, hope springs eternal!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:25 pm

rgarner wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:20 am
Here are mine (controller-only):
  • Sends disappear from the Mix button for all tracks; to get them back, I have to add a track
  • Attempting to see what happens if you hold a note in the sequencer and turn the jog wheel (hoping for nudge!) I actually get weird graphical corruption on the screen number text
  • Parameters on the eight encoders randomly disappear and I have to switch to another track and back again to get them back
Did you report to Support?
Ableton Forum Moderator

rgarner

Post by rgarner » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:35 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:25 pm
Did you report to Support?
I haven't, no, at the moment I'm just in the process of getting a replacement for the touchstrip and pad crosstalk issues. I'll post again when I have a unit set up and can have precise steps to reproduce.

xeamus

Post by xeamus » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Only bug I found so far is that selecting note (s) is impossible sometimes with the jogwheel or Select all. If I change track a couple of times it starts working again.

- see what note your on just like on the computer (keyboard, lines), it’s like a gamble to know what note you enter on the gridpads
- information on the screen what note/chord you play
- eaiser to move clips
- able to lock a sound/track on the gridpads so you can still play that sound and change track and parameters on another track without changing sound
- more layouts like a performace mode with performance effects. This would be great if standalone never will get an arrangermode which I do wish
- power/screensaving mode
- battery indicator always on display

xrcst

Post by xrcst » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:19 am

- [req] search in devices/samples/etc
- [bug] does not automatically connect to wifi, shows "enter code" when connecting with Live too often
- [req] Cannot setup external audio effect in/out routing
- [req] Cannot rearrange devices chain / track order
- [req] Show notes played on pads in a popup
- [req] Scrolling names that are too long to show (in midi interfaces for example)
- [bug/req] Graphics for devices (meters for compressors/limiters etc.)

medenine

Post by medenine » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:26 pm

xeamus wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:05 pm
Only bug I found so far is that selecting note (s) is impossible sometimes with the jogwheel or Select all. If I change track a couple of times it starts working again.

- see what note your on just like on the computer (keyboard, lines), it’s like a gamble to know what note you enter on the gridpads
- information on the screen what note/chord you play
- eaiser to move clips
- able to lock a sound/track on the gridpads so you can still play that sound and change track and parameters on another track without changing sound
- more layouts like a performace mode with performance effects. This would be great if standalone never will get an arrangermode which I do wish
- power/screensaving mode
- battery indicator always on display
Performance mode - what a great idea! Like on the Polyend Play. That would be killer.

xeamus

Post by xeamus » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:53 am

Is this a known problem?

- new set (doesn’t matter)
- sequencer layout, display pianoroll
- put in a note and hold it to enter noteedit
- hold that note and another pad (to extend that note (this should show on the screen or?)
- keep holding the first note and nudge with the knob
- Crash

Also. When you hold a note and use knob to extend it I can see that it also extends in the grid, but if I hold two pads in the grid to extend a note I can’t see that on the display. Is this normal?

I have sent a report to Ableton.

Flatspin

Post by Flatspin » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:07 am

BUG
Muting a Track in Drumrack is not really visible. Please adjust the led brightness to a level where someone can distinguish the brightness levels from active track to muted track.

WISH
Using the Jogwheel to scroll from track to track in Mixer Mode. Isn´t it an obvious function to program for a jogwheel?
(That was one thing i was sure would work, when i decided to switch from Push to to Push 3)

thetater

Post by thetater » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:10 pm

• Non uniform screen brightness. I've been informed by support that this is a software issue.
  • The sends for each track aren't always displayed on start up. They appear in a manner that seems random.
  • The "New" and "Duplicate" buttons don't always function as stated in the manual. Sometimes they both just create a new blank scene.