Live 11 delaying launching scenes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

Live 11 delaying launching scenes

Post by kebabman » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:13 pm

Hi there

I had a a problem with my 2012 mbp running Live 11 grinding to a halt with beachballs after even moving the mouse pointer. It was hapily running my live set which is 10 songs broken down into scenes and channels. It's a huge 200 gig folder and the set has about 120 channels with all the different songs.

It used to run all this fine with the cpu going up to 10 percent max and then it suddenly ground to a halt. I took it to the shop and they said it was because I had huge folders on the desktop which the macos (High Sierra) was scanning and buffering. They reinstalled everything and put my huge folder into the Music folder and left me an alias on the desktop linking to this. Anyway I got it home and I was finding for a few days that when I tried to play through all the scenes in my live set, often there would be a 5 second delay before they triggered. I was also finding that moving around the set L and R, up and down there were often delays.

Yesterday I tried again and went through the whole live set and it now seems like it's working fine! I've tried it a few times since and it's back to normal - phew!

My question is, after you reinstall a huge live set onto a mac, do you need to let it play through a couple of times to allow the system to "get it's bearings?" It's all fine now so I'm hoping that's an end to it but I don't understand what caused the sluggish behaviour after the reinstall and alias were put on the desktop andalso how has it managed to fix itself?

Thanks in advance! :)
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

Tarekith

Re: Live 11 delaying launching scenes

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Live was probably scanning and reinserting your library and any custom folder paths you had set up in the browser.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:00 pm

Hi Tarekith

Thanks for the reply. There's not loads of plugins or anything like that to find - it's literally just audio with a chanel for midi from a Roland tb-03. Like you say though, I guess it stiil needs to find where all these audio files are.

The mbp was also getting really hot during all this beach ball spinning but now it's temperature is back to a respectable level.

I'm hoping that's the end of it as it will now have found all the paths. I've worked through my entire show of 10 songs a few times and it's all now playing as it shoulkd.

Thank yoiu :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:08 pm

It has nothing to do with your plug ins and everything to do with indexing any samples you might have Live pointed to on your hard drive. Especially in the latest version of Live where a new method of file analysis and warping was introduced which causes Live to rescan everything.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:12 pm

This is all very reassuring because I was panicking a few days ago!

Thanks very much Tarekith for your help with this :)