P3S - I hate this jog wheel :(

Discuss Push with other users.
TheLoudest

P3S - I hate this jog wheel :(

Post by TheLoudest » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:02 pm

Well, the title may be a bit excessive...

but it was mainly to draw attention to the subject, because I'd like to know if I'm the only one disappointed by this wheel when I had such high expectations of it.

First of all, I'm disappointed that there's no real directional pad underneath (just the horizontal axis? I wonder why, as this controller could have been so much more efficient and complete if it had all 4 directions : move clips up&down, nudge and transpose selected notes in the piano roll, etc.).
I also find it rather unpleasant to hold and not so precise (there's no hole for turning with the finger like on other "jog wheels") and the potentiometer "notch" isn't pronounced enough. From this point of view, I much prefer the tempo encoder (the volume encoder seems a little slacker than the tempo one... but much better than the "big knob").

What do you think of this addition?
and do you think it will stand the test of time?
It seems very fragile to me...

Audivit

Re: P3S - I hate this jog wheel :(

Post by Audivit » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:25 pm

I agree with the fact that it would have made more sense having access to the vertical axis movement.

However I totally disagree about the feel, on my unit it feels super solid and the clicks when rotating are very pronounced, it lacks the hard stop after each click compared to say the tempo encoder due to his mass and momentum while turning, but it's buttery smooth and stable in operation, I'm kind of addicted to it already!

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:24 am

Audivit wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:25 pm
on my unit it feels super solid and the clicks when rotating are very pronounced
in fact that's what I wanted to know because in this case maybe mine has a flaw...because on my unit it is really unpleasant and I wonder how that could be an expected behavior...
at no time I don't feel I am dealing with something stable and solid. And the clicks are clearly not pronounced :?

One comment though, you say : "smooth as butter"
and on that point I agree, except that it's not a quality in my opinion :lol:

on long lists, it's so unpleasant that I always end up using the upper encoders (which, by the way, are much faster for scrolling)
but to select notes in the piano roll, we have to use that jog wheel, which is clearly not a pleasant experience (especially when there are a lot of notes to scroll through).

I miss the Maschine+'s 4D encoder so much :cry:
(in fact, the overall feel of the hardware is better on Maschine... for a much less expensive device: metal panel, more responsive buttons, etc.)

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am

I think Native Instruments patented their 4D encoder so I assume Ableton can't make one that also has both vertical and horizontal clicking as that would breach the patent.

sinik

Post by sinik » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:42 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am
I think Native Instruments patented their 4D encoder so I assume Ableton can't make one that also has both vertical and horizontal clicking as that would breach the patent.
that hurts, if its true.
but yeah, it just makes no sense to only make it move 3 directional.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:27 pm

I don’t hate the jog wheel, in fact I use it more than I usually use jog wheels on devices. But I do wish it had a dimple on top or some sort of texture to make it easier to scroll through long lists.

And yes, sometimes the scrolling acceleration can be a bit much causing you to scroll more than you meant to.

drez

Post by drez » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:56 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:27 pm
I don’t hate the jog wheel, in fact I use it more than I usually use jog wheels on devices. But I do wish it had a dimple on top or some sort of texture to make it easier to scroll through long lists.

And yes, sometimes the scrolling acceleration can be a bit much causing you to scroll more than you meant to.
I wonder if somebody is going to create a "dimple stick on" thingy for it :D
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty