A question about Low Level Mixing.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Kirby47

A question about Low Level Mixing.

Post by Kirby47 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:14 am

Hello everyone! I have a question, this question is a bit foolish.

I often mix at Low Levels, this is because of personal habits, or think the handling of sweet spot sounds great.

But this will bring a problem, if I want to achieve higher track volume in the future, faders can only increase by 6 db.
So I thought of using the plugin's gain to compensate for this, but as far as I know, doing the gain will bring a certain amount of distortion.

Will using "Utility" also bring distortion? Is there any way to minimize distortion but improve it by more than 6 db?
Last edited by Kirby47 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris harbin

Re: A question about Low Level Mixing.

Post by chris harbin » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:30 pm

That's not a bad question at all, and I think you bring up a good point.

Unlike Studio One for example, there isn't much throw to increase the gain per channel. Not sure about "utility" .... I think this warrants further investigation.
Live 11.x Suite, Push 2, AMD Ryzen 7900x @ 4.7 GHZ, Windows 11, 32 GB ram, Volt 2, Nektar T4 and Atom SQ.
Also a new lappy: i7 1269, 32 gigs of ram.

Tarekith

Re: A question about Low Level Mixing.

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:23 pm

If all your mixer volume faders are low in their range, you can just select all the track headers in the project and raise one of the faders. This will raise all of the faders in the project by the same amount. Also, because Live uses 32bit processing in the mixer, it’s virtually impossible to clip a channel fader by raising it too high. This doesn’t apply to the master fader however, which will still clip if the meter goes in the red.

Hope that helps.