Questions about what P3S can do

Discuss Push with other users.
SvenH

Questions about what P3S can do

Post by SvenH » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:44 pm

* I understand that all Live Instruments and "regular" Audio Effects work on P3S, but do the modulators work (e.g. Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper)? I understand that you can not program the mapping on P3S, but can you run patches that have been programmed on Live on the computer?

* Can you freeze and unfreeze tracks on P3S?

Thanks,
Sven

resequenced

Re: Questions about what P3S can do

Post by resequenced » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:53 am

SvenH wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:44 pm
* I understand that all Live Instruments and "regular" Audio Effects work on P3S, but do the modulators work (e.g. Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper)? I understand that you can not program the mapping on P3S, but can you run patches that have been programmed on Live on the computer?

Thanks,
Sven
Are the modulators max 4 live devices? They may or may not work. It depends on whether they were updated for Push 3 standalone or not. Mapping them to parameters is another story. The modulators might not let you map them to something you want them to modulate. This is also related to the compatibility update for Push mentioned previously. The mappings don't work for the most part on the Push 3. Many updates and improvements are required there.

Macros for instrument racks, midi and many others can't be mapped in the version of Live found on the Push 3 standalone. Ableton is working on updating the packs to make them work on the Push 3. It's going to take some time for them to update all the packs. My hope is that they'll release those updates when they're ready if they don't need other changes made to the Push firmware and to Live itself.

Yes, you can freeze and flatten tracks on the Push 3 standalone. The shift button must be pressed first, the button below the track is pressed next and the freeze button needs to be pressed as the last step. The flatten button is pressed instead for the flatten operation.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:02 am

resequenced wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:53 am
SvenH wrote:
I understand that all Live Instruments and "regular" Audio Effects work on P3S, but do the modulators work (e.g. Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper)? I understand that you can not program the mapping on P3S, but can you run patches that have been programmed on Live on the computer?
Are the modulators max 4 live devices? They may or may not work. It depends on whether they were updated for Push 3 standalone or not. Mapping them to parameters is another story. The modulators might not let you map them to something you want them to modulate. This is also related to the compatibility update for Push mentioned previously. The mappings don't work for the most part on the Push 3. Many updates and improvements are required there.
I guess they are M4L, but they are part of the few basic devices that are included by default with Ableton Live Suite. If there are any M4L devices at all that work with P3S, I guess those should be the ones?
resequenced wrote:
SvenH wrote:
Can you freeze and unfreeze tracks on P3S?
Yes, you can freeze and flatten tracks on the Push 3 standalone. The shift button must be pressed first, the button below the track is pressed next and the freeze button needs to be pressed as the last step. The flatten button is pressed instead for the flatten operation.
Is it possible to also unfreeze? (Important if you want to make adjustments to any frozen track.)

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:45 am

SvenH wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:02 am
resequenced wrote:
SvenH wrote:
I understand that all Live Instruments and "regular" Audio Effects work on P3S, but do the modulators work (e.g. Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper)? I understand that you can not program the mapping on P3S, but can you run patches that have been programmed on Live on the computer?
I guess they are M4L, but they are part of the few basic devices that are included by default with Ableton Live Suite. If there are any M4L devices at all that work with P3S, I guess those should be the ones?
You'd be surprised. Mapping doesn't seem to work for most things. Please provide a list of 3-5 devices you want to use. I can check if they work on the Push 3 and if their mapping functions are usable.

Most of the max 4 live devices I've tried didn't work. The few synths I've tried were also broken.
SvenH wrote:
resequenced wrote:
SvenH wrote:
Can you freeze and unfreeze tracks on P3S?
Is it possible to also unfreeze? (Important if you want to make adjustments to any frozen track.)
I'll check.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:29 am

resequenced wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:45 am
You'd be surprised. Mapping doesn't seem to work for most things. Please provide a list of 3-5 devices you want to use. I can check if they work on the Push 3 and if their mapping functions are usable.
The three I mentioned - Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper - are most interesting for me. Would be very kind of you to check them!
resequenced wrote:
Most of the max 4 live devices I've tried didn't work. The few synths I've tried were also broken.
Just to be sure, the synths you write were broken... I guess you mean M4L synths? The main Live synths (Wavetable, Drift, Operator, Analog etc) surely work as expected?
resequenced wrote:
SvenH wrote:
I'll check.
Great, thanks!

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:11 am

SvenH wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:29 am
resequenced wrote:
The three I mentioned - Envelope Follower, LFO, and Shaper - are most interesting for me. Would be very kind of you to check them!
resequenced wrote:
Just to be sure, the synths you write were broken... I guess you mean M4L synths? The main Live synths (Wavetable, Drift, Operator, Analog etc) surely work as expected?
resequenced wrote:
SvenH wrote:
I'll check.
Great, thanks!
Yes, the synths I was referring to were m4l synths from the official packs included in Live Suite. All of the packs were downloaded via the pack installation menu.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:06 pm

SvenH wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:29 am
resequenced wrote:
Not meaning to rush you, but if it would make it easier for you, I could provide you with extremely simple test patches for these devices.

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:48 pm

All three devices seem to work on the Push 3. They'd have to be mapped and configured on the desktop version of Live. They can't be mapped on the Push 3 from what I've seen.

Unfreeze can be used on frozen tracks. They become editable again.

I've tested as soon as I could.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:09 pm

resequenced wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:48 pm
All three devices seem to work on the Push 3. They'd have to be mapped and configured on the desktop version of Live. They can't be mapped on the Push 3 from what I've seen.

Unfreeze can be used on frozen tracks. They become editable again.

I've tested as soon as I could.
It's not that I needed the results immediately :wink: - sorry if I made you feel that way! But thanks a lot for taking the time to test and report! Very valuable info!

resequenced

Post by resequenced » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:11 pm

It's not a problem. It's just that I wasn't next to the Push 3.

The devices will require some updates before it's all usable. The controller might be a better choice for now.

btrrrrnnnnn

Post by btrrrrnnnnn » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 pm

SvenH wrote:

Thanks,
Sven
Someone has done a push 3 version of the LFO M4L device - two versions actually, one which only has one mapping and another where you can map 8 things: https://elisabethhomeland.gumroad.com/l ... ut=profile

I tested both and they work very well :-)

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:07 pm

btrrrrnnnnn wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 pm
SvenH wrote:

Thanks,
Sven
Someone has done a push 3 version of the LFO M4L device - two versions actually, one which only has one mapping and another where you can map 8 things: https://elisabethhomeland.gumroad.com/l ... ut=profile

I tested both and they work very well :-)
Thanks, great to know!