max4live device causing crash loop in ableton 10

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
wilfsdad1965

max4live device causing crash loop in ableton 10

Post by wilfsdad1965 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:09 am

Can anybody help me get out of this catch22.

i have written a bunch of max4live controllers for various synths i use over the past 4 years, using bundled max4live 8.1.1 that came with ableton 10.1.43.

When i'm editing a device in max it usually crashes if i try to change more than a couple of things in one go. All i am doing is creating a device with CC, pgm change, pitchbend and other basic stuff the synths respond to not anything complicated like sysex.

if i restart Ableton and don't restore the project all is ok (if try to restore it just bombs out again).

Over the years i've gotten used to it crashing. my music computer is not connected to the internet so i haven't sent any dumps to abelton support ( i guess i should).

i just created a controller for a volca drum, same thing, every 2 or 3 changes it crashes, restart all is ok.

so i thought i'd update max4live to 8.5.5 and select it in prefs. Same thing, it crashes every 2 or 3 things i add to the device.

As i added the last CC dial of 30, and saved it, i can no longer open the project i'm testing it in as it crashes every single time

i don't use any external vst's just ableton and max4live.

i know which midi track has the problem so i just want to go in and delete the device from the track but i can't open the project.

i've added the same device to a different project and it works perfectly fine. i've rebooted a couple of times, no luck.

i've deleted the cycling 74 folder in appdata roaming with no luck as suggested in a support doc.

Since i've got the bundled version at 8.1.1. and the standalone version at 8.5.5 i can't work out how to disable it. if i try to select an empty folder for the external version of m4l ableton doesn't let me, and you can't unselect the bundled version.

is there any way to start ableton with out max4 live so i can go into the project and delete the device from the relevant midi channel.

seems a bit nutty to me that i can't unselect a piece of optional software that is causing a problem.

using win10 64 bit with live suite 10.1.43 and max4live 8.1.1.or 8.5.5.

UPDATE: it gets funnier. i still have live standard installed and i can open the project with that, play the song, and delete the tracks causing the problem. But of course i can't save the project in standard and open it again in suite as i don't have a valid standard license. i tried to get a free one, wasn't allowed, tried to register standard with the suite license, not allowed, even though suite is way more expensive. so i know what's wrong, i know how to fix it, i know the project opens fine without m4l in standard but i can't save it, i can't open it in suite as it crashes, i can't get a temp license to allow a save, and i can't use my suite license with standard to save it. whichever thing i try ableton stops me from fixing the problem. it's kafka-esque.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: max4live device causing crash loop in ableton 10

Post by [jur] » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:44 pm

wilfsdad1965 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:09 am
is there any way to start ableton with out max4 live so i can go into the project and delete the device from the relevant midi channel.
Momentarily delete the offending M4L device, from the Finder/Explorer...
Ableton Forum Moderator

wilfsdad1965

Re: max4live device causing crash loop in ableton 10

Post by wilfsdad1965 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:57 pm

Thanks. worked perfectly.
i guess trying to solve a problem at 1am isn't the best approach.
Tip noted for future problems.