Intel is shutting down NUC

Discuss Push with other users.
rg01A

Re: Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by rg01A » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:09 am

Audivit wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:50 am
But even with this much room of improvement it's still sad to know that's the max spec NUC there will ever be..
I don’t think we should assume that… other NUC manufacturers are reaffirming their commitment to the form factor in response to Intel’s announcement. See here: https://liliputing.com/intel-is-shuttin ... er-launch/

NUC seems to be a PC/computer system design philosophy and platform rather than a specific product line from Intel… it was the kind of radical idea that sounded like it could be the future ten years ago, but consumer habits and needs ended up going in a vastly different direction (although I kind of want a P14e after learning about all of this). It seems like the biggest markets for NUCs were business-to-business, and it seems like there is at least one supply-side business intending to stick it out with the platform. I don’t see any reason why a manufacturer that isn’t Intel couldn’t continue to place future Intel chips in a NUC Compute Element shell, or why they couldn’t put an AMD or ARM processor in a NUC Compute Element.

This is probably going to be a bit of a headache for Ableton and anyone else that’s built custom hardware designed to use NUC Compute Elements, but I don’t think the sky is falling.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:23 am

Massive headache for Ableton :(

I think they will need to either quickly change their Push 3 computing design and jump ship asap or buy huge stock of existing NUC compute element boards until they have a new solution.

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:28 am

rg01A wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:09 am
but I don’t think the sky is falling.
I agree!

sinik

Post by sinik » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:47 am

without owning a push 3 – the hardware inside of it is already more than capable is it?!
it's like 4 times the power of current mpc / maschine+ lines.

i really dont get why people are upset about this.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 am

I think the issue is that the current Push 3 wont be sold for too long unless they can buy a massive stock of the computer element units. Also the future of the later upgradable controller versions are in question.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:14 am

sinik wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:47 am
without owning a push 3 – the hardware inside of it is already more than capable is it?!

Sure, I'm not assuming I'd ever upgrade personally but I guess as it's being sold as upgradeable, then people want to know if it still is or not.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:20 am

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:53 am
I think the issue is that the current Push 3 wont be sold for too long unless they can buy a massive stock of the computer element units. Also the future of the later upgradable controller versions are in question.
They'll have a gauranteed quantity way in advance of production. This is generally the case with products of this kind. It's how they cost them and often why we end up paying over the odds for what feels like older tech. It wasn't old when the manufacturer made the deal with the supplier. "We'll guarantee you this many units at this cost over the first three years of the product's lifecycle." Or whatever. This isn't so true for more mass market products where there are far greater numbers sold and more frequent iterations of a design.

rg01A

Post by rg01A » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:30 am

dcjams wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:14 am
sinik wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:47 am

Sure, I'm not assuming I'd ever upgrade personally but I guess as it's being sold as upgradeable, then people want to know if it still is or not.
I seriously doubt sourcing enough NUC Compute Elements for Push 3 owners looking to upgrade to standalone will be a problem. Intel is just not investing in the platform and making their own computers based on the platform down the line.

I think the real question is whether current standalone owners (like myself) should expect for there to be further processor upgrades years down the line… the existing hardware is plenty strong for what it can do today, and considering the Push is a Linux computer running Live, there’s no reason why the machine as sold today couldn’t grow in functionality and support things like an external display and VSTs and a mouse and keyboard. Intel ceasing investment in the NUC platform means that it’s less likely for the standalone Push to keep pace with the processing power of other PCs into the future… it does seem like that vision of the future is stifled a bit.

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:43 am

True but since the NUC Ableton uses already had a discontinued date and Intel would have known they were stopping NUC support, how long of a promise would Intel have given?

Well P3 might be that special edition push 🤣

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:56 am

We don't even know if the board inside the Push 3 will support 12th and 13th gen Element modules,
but assuming it does then even a 12th gen i7 Element would be 10 years ahead of the competition (mainly Akai & NI) in the standalone DAW/Groovebox market, considering how slowly competitors are moving in regard to processing power, just think about the Intel Atom inside the Machine+...

TheLoudest

Post by TheLoudest » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:07 am

I think I've tested every hardware sequencer on the market
and the problem is clearly not a lack of power...

but rather the ability of development teams to provide features that are often basic.... or even essential (forgetting the ability to send Program Change messages is unforgivable for a sequencer that wants to be at the center of a setup... and you don't need an i3 to do that!).

generally speaking, the problem is rarely hardware-related...

on the other hand, releasing a product whose firmware is only half-finished (or even in alpha/beta version) is starting to become a recurring problem, and it's really annoying...

Since all companies do it, we can't blame one company more than another...
but we wonder whether these teams really have a Product Owner (or at least UX designers).
Last edited by TheLoudest on Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:16 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 am
Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am
Surprised no one saw the announcement from Ableton about this situation earlier today:

"Unfortunately due to the recent announcement by Intel about discontinuing their NUC chips, we will no longer be able to sell Push 3 Standalone units. As such, starting tomorrow at 5:40AM we will stop accepting orders for these units. All customers who have pre-ordered a Push 3 Standalone, will instead be shipped a special edition Push 2 unit painted in a rare "Irate Red" color scheme. Each special edition Push 2 will come with 4 AA batteries that you can use in any device you want.

We're sorry for this inconvenience, and we can't wait to show you what we have in store for Push 4. It's our most magical device ever."
Can you provide a link to the announcement?

Cant tell if this is a joke or note since you are an Ableton employee.
It was a joke, sorry I’m thought that would be pretty obvious.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:35 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:16 pm
nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 am
Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am
Surprised no one saw the announcement from Ableton about this situation earlier today:

"Unfortunately due to the recent announcement by Intel about discontinuing their NUC chips, we will no longer be able to sell Push 3 Standalone units. As such, starting tomorrow at 5:40AM we will stop accepting orders for these units. All customers who have pre-ordered a Push 3 Standalone, will instead be shipped a special edition Push 2 unit painted in a rare "Irate Red" color scheme. Each special edition Push 2 will come with 4 AA batteries that you can use in any device you want.

We're sorry for this inconvenience, and we can't wait to show you what we have in store for Push 4. It's our most magical device ever."
Can you provide a link to the announcement?

Cant tell if this is a joke or note since you are an Ableton employee.
It was a joke, sorry I’m thought that would be pretty obvious.
🤣
Ableton Forum Moderator

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:38 pm

Well it was quoted in another forum since it was coming from an Ableton employee.

If someone told me yesterday that Intel was ending NUC and the future of Push 3 was in Jeopardy, I woudnt have believed it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:44 pm

You still shouldn’t believe it, just a lot of arm chair speculation from people who have no idea what the situation at Ableton is like regarding push 3. 😉