Intel is shutting down NUC

Discuss Push with other users.
nori.lam

Re: Intel is shutting down NUC

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:52 pm

Fair enough. However, an official statement from Ableton would help squash these rumours.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:44 pm
You still shouldn’t believe it, just a lot of arm chair speculation from people who have no idea what the situation at Ableton is like regarding push 3. 😉
Are you an employee of Ableton. I thought you were just a site admin. Not that I care either way! Just being nosey 😊

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:56 pm

Yes Ableton pays me to make sure you lot behave. :lol:

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:56 pm
Haha, herding cats etc

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:01 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:38 pm
Well it was quoted in another forum since it was coming from an Ableton employee.

If someone told me yesterday that Intel was ending NUC and the future of Push 3 was in Jeopardy, I woudnt have believed it.
Sorry Nori.lam, I wasn't making fun of you, I was laughing at Tarekith's joke.
Ableton Forum Moderator

nori.lam

Post by nori.lam » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:20 pm

All good :)

Just lots of discussions/speculations going on today, so hard to believe what is true.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:57 pm

dcjams wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:58 pm
Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:56 pm
Haha, herding cats etc
You have no idea... :roll:

circuitslave

Post by circuitslave » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:13 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:14 am
Cant tell if this is a joke or note since you are an Ableton employee.

LMAO
Tarekith wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am

It was a joke, sorry I’m thought that would be pretty obvious.
I laughed! It started out real legit and then you mentioned the red Push ! Well played, Tarekith! :lol:

login

Post by login » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:37 pm

If anything it could make the NUC for Push more expensive since now Ableton might have to come to a deal to develop the NUC with one of the others manufacturers. I don't think Ableton is big enough to place a direct order at intel for a big number of CPUs and then develop the NUC themselves.

But I don't think it will be hard to get the other companies to make a NUC for Push.

Hogesyx

Post by Hogesyx » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:47 pm

login wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:37 pm
If anything it could make the NUC for Push more expensive since now Ableton might have to come to a deal to develop the NUC with one of the others manufacturers. I don't think Ableton is big enough to place a direct order at intel for a big number of CPUs and then develop the NUC themselves.

But I don't think it will be hard to get the other companies to make a NUC for Push.
IIRC Compute Element is not an open standard. To be honest I find it weird that Ableton went with this one, maybe Intel provided support in the development phase for it, but alas there is no free lunch and now Ableton might suffer for it.

There are a few standards that is more "open", like COM Express, ETX/XTX, there is also a lower power standard QSeven(which Maschine+ uses).

I personally felt that the best standard to adopt is actually OPS, It was originally a standard designed for tiny pc to be slot into display units, and one side is external facing. There are also lots of OEM builder that already has production on such hardware, and it is extremely easy and cheap to integrate with this.

Audivit

Post by Audivit » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:58 pm

nori.lam wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:52 pm
Fair enough. However, an official statement from Ableton would help squash these rumours.
I'm very surprised they didn't release any official statements about this, I hope they will, after all the upgradeability feature was a big reason for me choosing Push 3 in the first place (and I presume it was for others too).

I know nothing about how this move from Intel will affect the Push 3, but it does make me a bit concerned...

I love Ableton and I understand that Intel shutting down NUC isn't at all their fault, what I don't understand is why they can't give us some reassurance/clarification about how this may or may not affect the product upgradeability going further.

I'd love to know what do you guys think, are you concerned as I am?

And specifically I'd like to ask forum admins:

Please, have you got some more info to share?
What's your opinion about this news from Intel?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:06 pm

If we had some info to share, we would have done so already. 8)

I would say at this point just keep in mind all you're seeing is armchair speculation, so I wouldn't read too much into it. If more info becomes available and we're asked to share it on the forum, you folks will be the first to know.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:14 pm

I'm not concerned but I don't necessarily imagine ever upgrading. My use cases are jamming and sketching out ideas, and performing where most of a set is flattened. The middle bit of actually finishing a track and preparing it for that performance, I'd rather do in a DAW. I don't imagine pure processor muscle being an issue for me until Live's built-in instruments and effects begin to tax the current Push 3 spec.

Others will feel differently, of course, and I don't think it's at all unreasonable for them to expect some info from Ableton on the subject.

login

Post by login » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 pm

Intel is ending their NUC line, and they will continue supporting other manufacturers that chose to develop NUC.

I don't get how this can affect Push, other manufacturers can do the custom parts where the CPU, SSD and ram are mounted to Ableton specifications.

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:11 pm

login wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 pm
Intel is ending their NUC line, and they will continue supporting other manufacturers that chose to develop NUC.

I don't get how this can affect Push, other manufacturers can do the custom parts where the CPU, SSD and ram are mounted to Ableton specifications.
Agreed. I have no idea what the concern is about. Intel isn't building the enclosure for Ableton. Intel is still selling CPU's. Whoever is making their enclosure will continue to do so, and they can shove whatever CPU, memory and SSD they want in it. The only thing intel is doing in this is creating CPU's...and they will continue to create CPU's. They are getting out of the we are creating our own small computer with all the parts in it business and letting other companies do that so they can cut costs on non critical business lines to save $$$.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty