"Capture" from Mono Sequencer (not record)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
LargeMedium

"Capture" from Mono Sequencer (not record)

Post by LargeMedium » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:35 pm

Hello! Any help with this would be very welcome.

I want to use the "Capture" feature with a Sequencer. Seems simple enough, but nope.
(I do know that I can record into a clip, but I want to use the wonderful Capture feature on my Push.)

I want to have a sequencer, Mono Sequencer for example, creating a stream of [randomish] notes and then Capture melodies that I like into midi clips.

I have found that if I play even just one note on the track that is receiving the midi, then the Capture icon becomes not greyed out, and I can press it and it will create a clip. This clip DOES include the notes fed from the Mono Sequencer along with the note I played. So it seems that the notes from the Mono Sequencer are recognized but not triggering the availability of the Capture button.

I have tried all the I/O setting possible. I can't find any info on this in Googleville or on this forum.

Anyone?
-- Mathew

AbletonMASCHINE

Re: "Capture" from Mono Sequencer (not record)

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:53 am

Hi, Rewind or MIDI Cap could be worth a look:

https://monkeyc.audio/

https://www.birdsthings.com/midi-cap

LargeMedium

Post by LargeMedium » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info, but I want the captured midi to go directly into a clip.

I am hoping to use the existing Capture function as it is, and have it capture the midi from a sequencer.
-- Mathew

LargeMedium

Post by LargeMedium » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:05 pm

[bump] It's hard to believe that this is such an obscure desire. Capture is already there. It works very well. Just not from another track, apparently.
-- Mathew

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am

It's not that easy.
From what I understand, Capture is some sort of buffer that listens to the MIDI input that are enabled as MIDI track inputs in the preferences. That's quite a limited set of data.
Now if you want to catch any MIDI flow at any point in the live set, that's a totally different story.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1