11.3 is incredibly unstable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scruffyfox

11.3 is incredibly unstable

Post by scruffyfox » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:09 am

Ever since 11.3 was launched (including all subsequent updates), I've had nothing but issues with the program freezing and crashing almost 90% of the time I have the program open and it usually happens after I have either turned OFF or turned ON a piece of equipment.

I've tried to see if I could isolate a particular piece of gear that causes it, or even if its something related to my project set but I have not found a clear pattern, it happens even on a blank project.

When power cycling, the program will just freeze. I'll have to force close the program, but the process still runs and throws an "access denied" error when trying to end task in Task Manager (windows 10). I'll have to either wait about 30m for the process to actually die, or restart my entire PC which as a live performer, isnt really an option (god forbid my NI Komplete Kontrol, or novation launch control just "stops working" and I have to unplug and replug, i may as well just restart my PC there and then).

The beta (11.2) was much more stable than this when I was on it and the only thing I could think of was something related to the push3 ASIO driver, but I uninstalled that and i'm still getting these issues.

I'm sending all my bug reports (seriously, i have to EMAIL these every time??) but I only ever get automated responses.

I have the same issue on the latest beta (11.3.10b)

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

i9-10850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, RTX 3070

Tarekith

Re: 11.3 is incredibly unstable

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:07 pm

Sending bug reports will always get you an automated message FWIW, they do not reply to those only log them.

scruffyfox

Post by scruffyfox » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:53 pm

I have just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, Live, and REAPER (I use ReaRoute for my ASIO that then routes to my SSL 2) and I am still experiencing program freezing and crashing when power cycling devices

im not really sure what else I can try here

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:10 pm

when you open live with a session does the program seem to hang for a while or become unresponsive? does it happen with an empty live session as you just open live? (just to rule out the issues with the warp feature).
I haven't used a windows pc with live for 10 years so last time I did if you powered on a device while live was running it wasn't recognized at all, is it different when everything's already powered?

scruffyfox

Post by scruffyfox » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:07 pm

it's really bizarre. The program will work fine when opened and a project is loaded (my live set is very heavy but i can still replicate the issue on a blank project) but when a (seemingly random) piece of equipment is either powered ON or OFF after the program has fully loaded will cause it to freeze and become unresponsive. Sometimes it will happen after one or two other devices have been cycled, sometimes it will happen on the first one I do.

Annoyingly, (and this has been a problem for years and not really anything new) some pieces of gear wont initialise properly with Live when it's opened, and even sometimes just _stops_ working during a live set. The old unplug-replug trick works 99% of the time, but since having these program freezes just absolutely renders the program unusable unless I manage to launch live with all the gear already on AND hope that it all initialises properly.

to me, it feels like there's something getting locked up during the device IO initialisation process. I thought it could be due to the introduction of the Push 3 ASIO, but uninstalling that didnt change anything.

I tried the latest beta, and 11.2 and surprisingly with 11.2, had the same issue so maybe it's an issue with some other software? I Installed windows on a separate drive with a fresh 11.3 and still the same issue. Could it be an issue with my interface somehow? It cant be the USB card (not hub) because devices plugged directly into the motherboard still trigger it.

The only thing I have yet to try is downgrading on the fresh windows installation