ableton remote script: mapping more than 16 parameters

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grrrz

ableton remote script: mapping more than 16 parameters

Post by grrrz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:43 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to map more than 2 banks of 8 controls to a controller (like a lot more) in remote device mode; I'd like to be able to take full control of a plugin from one controller including pots and toggles; with the instant mapping script. I tried but it doesn't seem to work; maybe I'm missing something.

yur2die4

Re: ableton remote script: mapping more than 16 parameters

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:01 pm

You might be able to take full control of a synth that isn’t in a ‘Rack’. The plug-in device in Live lets you ‘Configure’ your controls, and it’s whatever is showing. The problem is, you’re still stuck with 16 controls at a time, but you’d use pages to change to each set of 16 controls.

The Next option is to Not use a user remote script but instead keep your controller completely unmapped in Live. Then do midi mapping from within the plug-in instead of in Live. This can even be saved so whenever you add instances of the plug-in, you get control of it.

The Remote method works whenever you simply select a plug-in. The blue hand shows up. The mapping within a plug-in method only works of midi is going INTO the channel. The moment you’re no longer monitoring midi in, it doesn’t control it anymore.. but it’s nice that you can go to different channels and be able to control the synths.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:45 pm

ok thanks; so 16 controls at a time is the maximum. I know I can map them "manually" but the idea was really to select any plugin and have it almost fully mapped.
I've been using a launchkey mini with the device mode and it's really the only thing I need in a remote; and since I can easily create a custom remote map with any controller with more controls (no idea it was this easy) I thought I could expand on this idea.
Also it works very well for vst but not so much for ableton plug-ins which are "premapped" and often it's not logical at all. Could use macros but that means having to open the racked version of the plugin instead of the plugin, really like the simplicity of opening a plug-in and having directly the controls at hand. I've made a little max for live thingy that shows the parameters you're controlling in a single window always visible to make things easier

login

Post by login » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:04 am

It is possible in some way, many years ago there were some developers making tools for making your own midi remote scrips, as nativekontrol DDC. Sadly I think most are discontinued now, but iwas even possible to order the parameters of Ableton stock devices. And push does it so it has to still be possible.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 pm

login wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:04 am
It is possible in some way, many years ago there were some developers making tools for making your own midi remote scrips, as nativekontrol DDC. Sadly I think most are discontinued now, but iwas even possible to order the parameters of Ableton stock devices. And push does it so it has to still be possible.
push only has 8 encoders; I'm talking about having more than 16 simultaneously. The remote feature use a bank system and the idea is you go through banks of 8/16 parameters. you can access them all but not at the same time.

login

Post by login » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:39 pm

grrrz wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:15 pm
login wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:04 am
push only has 8 encoders; I'm talking about having more than 16 simultaneously. The remote feature use a bank system and the idea is you go through banks of 8/16 parameters. you can access them all but not at the same time.
AFAIR with DDC by nativekontrol you could map the second bank of 16 to different set of controls.

grrrz

Post by grrrz » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:56 pm

I'm getting a launchcontrol xl and apparently this script can do that
https://isotonikstudios.com/product/launchcontrol-xxl/
but it's a paying script.
I don't get why ableton allows users an easy way to create custom script but still limits the functionality to the minimum,
as with this system it's not possible either to launch clips or scenes.
there are also paying services like remotify.io ; but looks like I'd have to dig into python to go further on my own.
also I'm trying to list the parameter names and turns out that the list I can get in max for live does not necessarily match the order of the controls used by the remote script. this is a bit stupid.
I spent a few hours learning touch osc and making a layout to display the names but I can mostly use them for vst and macros.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:06 am

Yeah. In the long term, I’ve wanted various control possibilities but realized I could never be fully satisfied. About the closest thing for me would be if everything was multitouch, touch screen supported (and with that, of the interfaces actually worked smoothly and predictably). Trying to do control schemes and displaying text on the controls is nice to know, but can be a huge distraction in the long run. At the end of the day, it tends to be nicer to just have the basics at your physical disposal, and let the more tedious stuff just be controlled via mouse.

Though, another fun thing to do is to do a ‘one knob’ control, where the single knob controls anything that’s selected on screen.

Quiet Erp

Post by Quiet Erp » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:03 am

but it's a paying script.
Well worth it my friend. Works seamlessly and is rock solid. Used in EVERY project since purchased a few years ago.
Its is the least clunky way, that I could find, to control banks of 32 macros, without having to hard map every fucking time.
Works like blue hand with all controls, up to 128 I think, automapped when a devices title bar is selected.
Problem solved