Are the 'FromPush' & 'ToPush' settings necessary with Push 3?

Discuss Push with other users.
skioakenfull

Are the 'FromPush' & 'ToPush' settings necessary with Push 3?

Post by skioakenfull » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find any information about the use of 'FromPush' and 'ToPush' settings in the Control Surface settings in Ableton Live.
I've read that they are not necessary, but without them, it seems that Push 3 doesn't auto-arm tracks when you switch between them.
However, with 'FromPush' and 'ToPush' set, I sometimes get weird crashes on Push where the pads light up randomly.

Can someone enlighten me or signpost some information? I assume these settings have a specific purpose!

Best
Ski

lovelight

Re: Are the 'FromPush' & 'ToPush' settings necessary with Push 3?

Post by lovelight » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:42 pm

I had some problems with my midi setup and contacted Ableton, they told me that Push 3 is designed to automatically establish its dedicated slot without the need for manual configuration, so its not necessary and I believe its used when you connect a Synth or other stuff into Push 3.

invertednothing

Post by invertednothing » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:19 pm

Hi. I also have the arm lights problem. Switching off FromPush and Touch helps with auto arm, but I also have the problem that randomly the arm lights do not switch off if the track isn't armed anymore. No change to switch off the lights. The only solution is to close the project and open it up again. Hopefully this will be addressed soon...

okubi

Post by okubi » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:21 am

Hey I'm having this exact issue as well, did you ever get to the bottom of this? There's nothing in the manual about this or how to set it up properly, and I also couldn't control Ableton without using these two settings.

elbows

Post by elbows » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:42 am

As already mentioned, they changed the way Push 3 connects to Live compared to previous Push versions, so communication happens without setting Push 3 up in the Control Surface settings.

Since this would have required changes to Lives code to add this new way of communicating, make sure you are not on too old a version of Live to support the Push 3.

okubi

Post by okubi » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:10 pm

I literally have the most up to date version of live - so it’s probably an issue with the Push 3 - I mentioned this to them when trying to resolve some other issues and they basically didn’t say anything and just sent a replacement unit that doesn’t do it

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:08 pm

I dont see this option anywhere "from push" and "to push". Im having the same problem with auto-arm not working. I wonder if adding futility max for live plugin would work.......nope it doesn't. It just says file not found when I store it in the push 3 user library

Just_Pierre

Post by Just_Pierre » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:20 pm

skioakenfull wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:48 pm
Hi,

I can't seem to find any information about the use of 'FromPush' and 'ToPush' settings in the Control Surface settings in Ableton Live.
I've read that they are not necessary, but without them, it seems that Push 3 doesn't auto-arm tracks when you switch between them.
However, with 'FromPush' and 'ToPush' set, I sometimes get weird crashes on Push where the pads light up randomly.

Can someone enlighten me or signpost some information? I assume these settings have a specific purpose!

Best
Ski
In the latest beta version (11.3.20b4) the 'FromPush' and the 'ToPush' is removed

Beta release Note :
'Removed the FromPush and ToPush MIDI ports from the configuration. When used, these could lead to some erratic behavior. Any control surfaces that the user has configured to use these ports will be disconnected.'