USB PD Charger for Push 3 mk2

Discuss Push with other users.
golemus

USB PD Charger for Push 3 mk2

Post by golemus » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:57 am

Ableton Push 3 is still on a proprietary (DC 20V, 3A) charger.

Proprietary chargers create huge strain for environment and last year mobile devices were forced to migrate to USB-PD charging by EU common charger directive.

Even though it still might not apply to controllers such as Push, Ableton should ASAP show example and release mk2 version where the proprietary charger is replaced by USB PD charger. This would also make sooo much simpler life for live musicians using multiple devices as you are less likely to accidentally take the wrong charger with you for a gig.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: USB PD Charger for Push 3 mk2

Post by [jur] » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:08 am

Just to be clear: I'm not speaking for Ableton here but just providing my own personal opinion.
The charger isn't proprietary. It's a very standard adapter, and it can also be charged from the USB-C port.
A big chunk of the unit was specifically designed to be user replaceable and upgradable.
And we're talking here about a product that will represent a few thousands units in the world compared to several billions phones and laptops.
And wouldn't the impact of redesigning the thing only a few months after its release and changing production have a bigger impact environmentally?

I'm not saying you're not pointing a relevant topic here. I just wanted to give some perspective.
Ableton Forum Moderator