hacking Push3's grid matrix

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
whatisnotrue

hacking Push3's grid matrix

Post by whatisnotrue » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:45 pm

is there any info on how to re-configure Push 3's grid for custom sequencers / controls using Max for Live? I couldn't find any official documentation on how to do this. if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

chapelier fou

Re: hacking Push3's grid matrix

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:48 pm

First thing is to get Push id as a control_surface.
You can then point a live.object to this id and grab the Button_Matrix control simply by sending the "call grab_control Button_Matrix" to this live object.
If you want to observe button presses, make a live.observer. You can get the id of the Button_Matrix by sending "call get_control Button_Matrix" to the previous live.object. Then observe presses by sending "property value" to the live.observer.

Then, to handle the leds, well, I'm not sure, as I'm discovering it as I type, but have a look at the x_Clip_y_Button controls...
(call get_control_names to the control_surface is great to give you an idea of what's available).

Hope this helps.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

whatisnotrue

Post by whatisnotrue » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:53 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:48 pm
First thing is to get Push id as a control_surface.
You can then point a live.object to this id and grab the Button_Matrix control simply by sending the "call grab_control Button_Matrix" to this live object.
If you want to observe button presses, make a live.observer. You can get the id of the Button_Matrix by sending "call get_control Button_Matrix" to the previous live.object. Then observe presses by sending "property value" to the live.observer.

Then, to handle the leds, well, I'm not sure, as I'm discovering it as I type, but have a look at the x_Clip_y_Button controls...
(call get_control_names to the control_surface is great to give you an idea of what's available).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I think the issue here is that because Push 3 is automatically registered by Ableton without having to manually add it as a control surface, it does not come up as an ID-able option. At least it didn't when I tried finding it with the Max for Live API. Perhaps I am missing a step though....

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:19 am

whatisnotrue wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:53 pm
it does not come up as an ID-able option.
Yes it does.
I'll share you a patch tomorrow, it's way too late now I need some sleep.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:44 am

Push 3 does not appear in the list in the prefs, but does appear when you iter the control surfaces in max for live.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

whatisnotrue

Post by whatisnotrue » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:27 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:19 am
whatisnotrue wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:53 pm
it does not come up as an ID-able option.
Yes it does.
I'll share you a patch tomorrow, it's way too late now I need some sleep.
Thank you! I have a lot of experience with Max but the Live API is totally new territory for me so i'm still trying to wrap my head around it.