The Session Record Button

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
N93

The Session Record Button

Post by N93 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:11 am

Hi guys,

first post here. Long-time Cubase user switching to Ableton Live, and I‘m really liking it so far.

One thing I don‘t really understand is the whole concept of „Session Record“. Is there any reason why there has to be a dedicated record button for that? In my mind, it would be more useful to have the Record button do recording in whatever view you are (which Push 3 does from my short experience with it) and then have a dedicated „Record to Arrangement“ button… is this some kind of legacy thing? Anything you can switch? It would be great to use the same keycommand in Session as well as Arrangement view…

ark

Re: The Session Record Button

Post by ark » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:25 am

If I understand your question correctly, at least part of the answer is to make it possible to do stuff in Session view that includes launching clips, recording material into new clips, and generally messing around, thus yielding a live performance; and while that performance is going on, to record everything you did into the Arrangement so that you can go back later and edit it into something that you can release.