Automation VS MIDI control "priority" issue

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
chapelier fou

Automation VS MIDI control "priority" issue

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:42 am

I'm facing an issue that I'd like to discuss. I was about to post this in the M4L section as this is the context where it appeared to me, but it's a more general problem. Here's how to reproduce the issue :

- midi map a parameter to an endless encoder (with a led ring, it's more obvious)
- make two clips that automate this parameter, with a straight line, simply changing the "start" value
- launch one of these clips
- your controller gets updated to the current automated value
- you can change the value with the controller, and the "back to automation" button lights up
- launch the other clip. "back to automation" turns off, the controller gets updated and you can tweak the param.

BUT :
if you tweak the encoder WHILE you change the clip (so, the automated value), the controller usually "wins" against the automation, meaning that the parameter gets the previous encoder value instead of the automated value.

I'm really trying to have a way to reset param values to a predefined state (the automated values). It sort of works, but not if I'm tweaking while automation clips change.

Hope I'm clear.

Any workarounds ? Do you think it's worth a suggestion in the beta ? Anyone having the same issue ?

Thanks !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Sterioevo

Re: Automation VS MIDI control "priority" issue

Post by Sterioevo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Hey, if I understand what you have explained I have been working on a method that achieves what you are trying to do. It is a bit convoluted but is effective.

I have a midi fighter twister (MFT) that has a multi knob/button function - it can send 2 x knob CC's and a button CC per knob. The button selects between the 2 different knob values to be sent and sends an off/on in the process. I wanted to take advantage of this functionality and try to be able to record automations, both hands on and sequence/lfo/S&H generated.

To take advantage of this functionality with the MFT I have created a Remote file that allows me to control 16 Macros in Device 1 in the rack with the first knob CC. The buttons and second knob CC's are mapped to the first Devices in chains 1 and 2 (again the 16 Macros) and allow me to turn on/off a midi CC controller value that is controlled by Knob 2, that are mapped back to the first 16 Macros in Device 1. I am then able to record automation to Midi CC channels that I can switch in and out of, and bypasses the automation override mode. I use Midi Hub m4l for this purpose - the key is when deactivating the Midi Hub CC channel it needs to release the mapped knob.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:15 am

Thanks for the answer.
Let me read another 23 times and I'll get back ! :D
Welcome, btw !

Sterioevo

Post by Sterioevo » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:34 pm

Thanks, I have been lurking for many years.

I made a quick video of the workaround to demonstrate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLGCo6hNQJ4.

The second chain of Macros are mapped to the furthest left (off/on) and the furthest right parameter (little offset box) on the Midihub device.

I know it is not exactly what you described but may give you some ideas.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:14 pm

I'm honestly having a hard time figuring it out, sorry !
I'm an experienced user, but I find it quite hard to understand what's going on.

Sterioevo

Post by Sterioevo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:12 am

I made another video here, hopefully this helps - https://youtu.be/XrfRc7uZLk8

The image above may be a bit misleading as it is from the Midi Hub page, not the settings for this setup.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:48 pm

Thank you for the video, I appreciate that you took the time.
It's not really solving my issue (that I might have described badly), but it's definitely super interesting !