Cue/Master Volume Knob. Why?

Discuss Push with other users.
dna598

Cue/Master Volume Knob. Why?

Post by dna598 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I NEVER EVER need to change master volume.
I ALWAYS need to change cue volume.

Why does ableton think it's exactly the other way around?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

dna598

Re: Cue/Master Volume Knob. Why?

Post by dna598 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am

BUMP: Is it possible to permanently swap over cue/volume functionality (no shift for cue level) in the script?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 pm

dna598 wrote:I NEVER EVER need to change master volume.
Ableton can't read minds (yet) and since it's been that way forever, we have to assume the majority of users are happy with it as it is.

Personally, I don't use it in live performances so I have no need at all for cueing or crossfading.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm

doghouse wrote:
Ableton can't read minds (yet) and since it's been that way forever, we have to assume the majority of users are happy with it as it is.

Personally, I don't use it in live performances so I have no need at all for cueing or crossfading.
Nor do I. It's for production purposes. And in production, if you're moving the master volume, you're probably doing it wrong.

Far more sensible to assume many more people would find file audition level a far more useful control to grab. And that Ableton are simply ignoring them. :lol:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

dna598 wrote: Far more sensible to assume many more people would find file audition level a far more useful control to grab. And that Ableton are simply ignoring them. :lol:
I feel like you though it may be perfectly acceptable for many people to use the master volume as the master volume.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

I use the master volume all the time when writing with Push, where as the cue volume is something I set once in my template and forgot about. Different strokes for different folks, not everyone writes music the same way.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am

Tarekith wrote: cue volume is something I set once in my template and forgot about.

Remarkable. Are all your samples exactly the same volume?
Tarekith wrote:I use the master volume all the time when writing with Push
Does that mean you actually enjoy wrestling with that knob in a vain attempt to reset it to 0db everytime it's moved? (which, as you know, is where it always has to be in the end, regardless of the system volume)

I control monitor level with a system volume fader (not push). This is as it should be, surely?

Please forgive my sarcastic affliction, i'm genuinely interested in how it works for you.(and if it can be swapped somehow)

Miss my APC40. 8O :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Most of the samples in my collection are normalized to -1dB, so they are pretty similar in volume. If I do need to adjust the cue volume, it’s no big deal to just hold shift and turn the knob instead.

For the mastering volume, sometimes I’ll reset it to 0dB, other times I leave it where it was when I was using Push. It really doesn’t matter at the end of the day, and is a simple double click on the volume fader if I do need to reset.

StickPlayer

Post by StickPlayer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm

doghouse wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 pm
dna598 wrote:I NEVER EVER need to change master volume.

Except cueing is used when auditioning clips even when just composing. We need a cue level control. Right now it's BLASTING, whereas my mix is right where it should be. I'm not changing the mix -- the cue should be separately controllable. The "mind reading" thing is a complete red herring -- just give us the options and let US do it. No mind reading needed.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:43 am

There could definitely be a setting to swap the shift functionality here.

IsopodGirl

Post by IsopodGirl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 pm

StickPlayer wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm
Except cueing is used when auditioning clips even when just composing. We need a cue level control. Right now it's BLASTING, whereas my mix is right where it should be. I'm not changing the mix -- the cue should be separately controllable. The "mind reading" thing is a complete red herring -- just give us the options and let US do it. No mind reading needed.
This is already possible. Simply click the volume knob in and switch the settings to be for cue volume and master volume.

Colbs

Post by Colbs » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 am

Clearly Ableton just needs to make this a user configurable default setting bc everyone will have different preferences. On my push 3, I only use Master volume, yet I have to scroll through the volume menu every single time I open any set, it's infuriating.

DRAGONTHEORY

Post by DRAGONTHEORY » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:45 pm

I use this. Mostly for line leveling/gain staging in standalone. Mode. Push acts more like an instrument. So having control of all this including cue level is helpful.