Activating/Deactivating all devices of a track at once.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Gral

Activating/Deactivating all devices of a track at once.

Post by Gral » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:08 pm

Hello,

I have a question to which I have not yet found an answer. I have some VST's which are quite power hungry (e. g. DIVA, some IK VSTs).

Is it possible to activate or deactivate all the devices of a selected track with one shortcut? Sometimes I want to deactivate a track so it doesn't use any or almonst no CPU Power without freezing the whole track. Freezing a track takes often some time. It would be quicker for me, to deactivate the devices of the track, which I do currently device by device.

To deactivate the output button of the track mixer doesn't help. The devices of the track are nevertheless working and consuming CPU Power.

If it is important: I am working with Ableton 11.3.3.

Greenapples2019

Re: Activating/Deactivating all devices of a track at once.

Post by Greenapples2019 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:31 pm

I do this with ClyphX Pro but I guess you could do it by grouping all the devices and then you just need to turn the group off which should turn all the devices off. I think you can keymap the group on/off button to speed things up.

silentio246

Post by silentio246 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:20 am

You can also do this with dummy clips in session view.
1. Create an empty midi clip.
2. In "envelopes" select the device(s).
3. Under the device(s) select "device on".
4. Draw automation (on/off).
Then you can select the devices, you want to deactivate.

Gral

Post by Gral » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:56 am

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:31 pm
I do this with ClyphX Pro but I guess you could do it by grouping all the devices and then you just need to turn the group off which should turn all the devices off. I think you can keymap the group on/off button to speed things up.
Thank you Greenapples2019 for your answer.

I think I remember reading that deactivating a group does not stop devices from running internally. You can no longer hear them, but they continue to run in the background. I think I tested this some time ago without success.

If there is no solution for this, I can live with this minor problem. I was just hoping someone would have a tip off the top of their head.

Thanks again for your effort.

Gral

Post by Gral » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:59 am

silentio246 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:20 am
You can also do this with dummy clips in session view.
1. Create an empty midi clip.
2. In "envelopes" select the device(s).
3. Under the device(s) select "device on".
4. Draw automation (on/off).
Then you can select the devices, you want to deactivate.
Yes, that could be done. It's a bit cumbersome for what I'm trying to do. I think I'll live with it for now, as it is at the moment.

Thanks for your answer.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:01 pm

Gral wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:56 am

I think I remember reading that deactivating a group does not stop devices from running internally. You can no longer hear them, but they continue to run in the background. I think I tested this some time ago without success.

If there is no solution for this, I can live with this minor problem. I was just hoping someone would have a tip off the top of their head.

Thanks again for your effort.
I would have thought so, but you can check that easily. Overload a rack with cpu hogs, group, on/off group as you watch the cpu meter. It can go from 50% to 1.