Create Fade bug?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KalnzEB

Create Fade bug?

Post by KalnzEB » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:36 pm

Hi there.

Very straightforward scenario here - I open Ableton Live (11.3.11), I drag whatever random sample to a track, now I want to create fades..
To my surprise Create Fade Ctrl+Alt+F feature is greyed out and basically not working.
Is it a bug?

It's weird there are even 4+ years old posts here and there on the internet about very same/similar problem mentioned in different posts but yet no clear answer and even worse the same problem still exist to this very day..

Seems to be very simple feature but for some not known at least for me reason greyed out and not working.

Any comments on this?

Thanks.

Rivanni

Re: Create Fade bug?

Post by Rivanni » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:16 am

Exit Automation mode.

KalnzEB

Post by KalnzEB » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks for the advice but I'm aware of the automation mode and I'm out of it still same issue here.

What I mean is why it is not possible by just selecting the whole clip create both In/Out 4ms fades simultaneously the same way it is achievable by enabling Create Fades on Clip Edges in Preferences but manually.. I don't want fades to be created on every single sample I drop in a track, I just want to leave that off in Preferences and be able to create manually, but instead it appears it is only possible by selecting only one end of a clip to create one fade for a range which is selected. In my opinion it is weird where in Preferences it is available but not in a manual manner by selecting a clip.

Am I missing some fundamental concept here?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:07 pm

It's not possible to change the fades on both sides at the same time.

The shortcut Ctrl+Alt+F can be used when you make a selection (partially) in the clip.

In Automation mode you can hold the F key to show the fade handles (if the computer MIDI keyboard is turned off).

KalnzEB

Post by KalnzEB » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:02 pm

Yes I know.. After carefully studying the manual and trying things out I have come to this very same conclusion.
But the question still remains as to why?

Wouldn't that be so much easier to apply both fades (if needs be) to any selected clip at once which also would speed up a workflow..

Well anyway.. it doesn't fit into my understanding. If anyone knows a concept behind this as to why it is not possible please comment.
Thanks.