Is this reverb or some other effect?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Flyingtaco

Is this reverb or some other effect?

Post by Flyingtaco » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi - I realise this is a bit of a noob question but would really appreciate the input.

My question is simply what is the effect going on in this clip which sounds like a sort of surging echo in and out of the core progression?

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxuB7R-_eKo- ... gPfK6dr7Ru

I assumed it was a form of reverb, or perhaps maybe an extreme sidechain effect, but I don't know and thought I'd ask the experts.

Re: Is this reverb or some other effect?

Post by 102455 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:18 pm

As you've not given a time, I'm not really sure which bit you're referring to - but the swooshing "build" effect just sounds like some white noise with maybe a filter on it that's being increased over time. Also it seems the volume of the melody line is being increased gradually too.

Flyingtaco

Post by Flyingtaco » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:43 pm

Oh sorry I tried to create a clip so it should start at the right place - if not, try about 1 min 49, but to be honest it's consistent throughout much of the track.

I think it's separate from the white noise but could be wrong

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:03 am

Reminds me kind of a shimmer reverb. And yeah, probably sidechained.

Reverb can get messy so be careful. If you’re doing changes of chords / harmony, long shimmer tails can be nice sometimes and other times they leave a whole lot of the previous chord behind. If the chords are kind of friendly and consonant with one another, it shouldn’t be too bad and should sound pretty decent.

I’d do a search for Shimmer reverb effect to see examples of what it is. I’d be surprised if it isn’t something like that.

Flyingtaco

Post by Flyingtaco » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:46 am

Thanks for this.
So my working assumption is long sawtooth pad with shimmer effect and quite heavy sidechain?

By the way I found this random video where he is creating a similar effect albeit different sounds. Using the mod wheel quite heavily in mainstage/logic, although I don't use these tools so it doesn't mean much to me.

https://youtu.be/uUfcNFrFmhg?si=AubUI4uB8kcSwszf

Back to this example, my working assumption is some sort of long sawtooth pad with shimmer and sidechain?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:09 am

For the pulsing part of it, sidechain is one possible option. others are amp or filter modulation in one way or another. This can be done in a lot of ways:
-Can be done within the synth using LFO’s
-Can be down with amp effects devices and plugins (in fact, I’m sure you can find a video using Autopan to do this)
-Can be down with filter effect devices they have LFO (like Autofilter)
-Can also be done with specialized plugins that are designed to do ducking. They often give you a bit of extra fine tuning with the envelope.
-Can be done with hand drawn automation (or alternatively, clip modulation). Probably not ideal, but people have certainly gone this route before.

Flyingtaco

Post by Flyingtaco » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:09 am
For the pulsing part of it, sidechain is one possible option. others are amp or filter modulation in one way or another. This can be done in a lot of ways:
-Can be done within the synth using LFO’s
-Can be down with amp effects devices and plugins (in fact, I’m sure you can find a video using Autopan to do this)
-Can be down with filter effect devices they have LFO (like Autofilter)
-Can also be done with specialized plugins that are designed to do ducking. They often give you a bit of extra fine tuning with the envelope.
-Can be done with hand drawn automation (or alternatively, clip modulation). Probably not ideal, but people have certainly gone this route before.
Never saw this until now, thanks so much. Yes I think I've come across some of these, notably the filter modulation. Still need to develop my skill with synths as it gets a few too many things to think about after a point ;)