Help figuring out delay

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Flyingtaco

Help figuring out delay

Post by Flyingtaco » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:59 pm

Hello all, happy saturday

One of my favourite effects in progressive house style music is the use of delay on plucked chords, and I'm just getting my head into how to recreate this

I've had some success, however I struggle sometimes to know when I'm hearing delay or the note simply replayed - in many situations it's obvious right, but for quick dotted 8 notes I'm struggling a bit. Here is a link to an example (clip is 1:09 in)

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxq81YmagK6s ... SHkr5zLtcj

I am referring to the chord pluck. I find it hard to know when the note is hitting again versus the delay hitting.

Is this delay just the note hitting once here in between plucks?

In ableton I have a delay set to 3/16 notes, 4.5% feedback, 70% wet and each pluck note 3/16 intervals, but it's not quite right.
Is there any general way to tell whether you are hearing the dry versus wet with the pluck when its unclear?

Thanks a lot

yur2die4

Re: Help figuring out delay

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:21 pm

In this one you have a few things to help you discern attributes.

For one, the actual hits are a ‘full’ sound, but the delays are filtered, especially the lows. The delay tails have the lows dropped off. So the first step might be to get an idea of the pattern that is not a delay.

In this case, the pattern is 3/16 intervals. And, if the delay were to be the same, you’d not hear it all that much because it would only be layering on top of the notes that are hitting, except the rare cases where the interval of the chord rhythm momentarily switches.

General rule of thumb: —-To have repeats show up more prominently between beats in a straight beat, like 8th notes, quarter notes, etc, you’d use odd numbered timing for delay. BUT that’s only for that particular vibe where it seems to add a lot of notes. It’s also always very fun to use even numbered. You’d be surprised what hidden treats you can find in those too.

To have repeats show on the off-notes in a melody that’s an Odd interval like this one ( 3/16 ), then you might actually want to try even-note delay timings like 1/8 or 1/4. —-

The other Hint is, when the beat comes in, again, keeping track of the chord hits that are more ‘solid’. And if you can really really focus and listen for some of the ones that hit at the same time as the bass drum and try to hear how the delay repeats from that single chord stab interact with the timing of the drum which is a steady quarter note beat. If it sounds like there’s 2 repeats for every drum hit, it is probably twice the rate of the bass drum.

But yeah, play around a bit!