SSD Upgrade

Discuss Push with other users.
funkazoid

SSD Upgrade

Post by funkazoid » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 am

Hi There,

I'm trying to upgrade the SSD drive of my push standalone.

I followed the following instructions from XRCST

https://youtu.be/gFe9tIunZxI?si=OEVqXdz9lKVFcLuN

On my Mac:

diskutil list (lists all connected disks)
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk6 (unmounts the ableton disk - replace /dev/disk6 with your number)
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk5 (umnounts the target disk - replace disk number with your number)
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk6 of=/dev/rdisk5 bs=1m status=progress
(clones disk 6 to disk 5 - change numbers according to your disk list)

This seems to work ok, but I'm stuck at the point where I need to resize the partition using gparted on Ubuntu. It does not recognise the drive.

Anyone else that has done the upgrade and run into problems along the way?

Thanks
Jay

xrcst

Re: SSD Upgrade

Post by xrcst » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:21 pm

Hi,
I had trouble accessing the disk in Linux when the cloned drive was large (4TB), not sure why, I'm not really pro Linux user.
However the 1TB drive worked just fine.
It should be pretty standard EXT4 filesystem, so it should work with Ubuntu.
Maybe someone more fluent in Linux will shed some light on this...

Post by 102455 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:11 pm

I don't think you actually need to resize the partition. As long as youi've cloned the original content, it seems (in my experience) that the Push will deal with the total size itself.

I changed mine for a 1TB M.2 (couldn't expand the partition either) and my Push displays the full storage space.

bouke

Post by bouke » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:19 pm

I've replaced it with a 2TB drive. Unfortunately the default partition table doesn't allow to resize beyond the 1TB boundary.

The way I worked around that was by starting the live CD and while both drives attached, after removing the music partition (the largest) on the new drive and creating a new one with the rest of the space, copy all the data from your original drive with : cp -a source dest

Ensure when creating the partition you name it the same as the original. Push3 mounts the partition by name.

Done it my push3, worked fine.

Another way to do it creating an extra partition, and mount that partition as a sub folder inside one of your music folders.

funkazoid

Post by funkazoid » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:53 am

Thank you for you replies!

This is very useful for me but also for anyone else that is looking to upgrade the SSD. So the ‘easy’ way is to use a 1TB drive.

I’m using a 2TB drive, which based on the feedback from Bouke is not supported by the partition table.

If I connect the drive to my Mac I can see multiple partitions on the drive and one is pretty large ( around 220GB)

I’m not a Linux geek, would be great if you could provide a bit more detail.

Couple of questions:
How do you remove the large partition? And how do you create a new larger partition on the 2TB disk?

How do you mount the individual partitions of the disk as you need to copy the content from the original Ableton disk onto the new disk?

Can you do this from a MAC or do you need to use a Linux system? On my Linux system I can see the drive but it does not mount the individual partitions of the disk. As said, I’m not a frequent Linux user so this is where I get stuck

Many thanks
Jay

funkazoid

Post by funkazoid » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I have been trying this on a 1TB drive, but did not work out When Push is starting up I'm getting a message that Live unexpected closed and is trying to recover the set.

Apparently it is not that straight forward to replace the SSD drive..

Jay

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:51 pm

It’s only going to be officially supported via the upgrade kits Ableton will sell, not sure if they will plan to offer a bigger SSD so soon though.

Goozburger

Post by Goozburger » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:22 pm

I hope they don't try to upcharge for bigger SSD the way apple does especially considering a lot of the products are off the shelf.