Device only works after opening & closing in Max device editor

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
arvindj

Device only works after opening & closing in Max device editor

Post by arvindj » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:59 pm

Has anyone experienced the issue where a device only works when it is opened in the Max editor and then closed? No changes or saving is done, but if you open and close it then it starts working perfectly.

It's hard to think of this as anything other than a bug in Live but could it somehow relate to a missing or incorrect element of a device..

Live version: 11.3.12

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Device only works after opening & closing in Max device editor

Post by [jur] » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:55 pm

I don't remember seeing this for a very long time, but yeah that's definitely not normal if you're using native Max/M4L objects. If that's the case then it's a bug for sure and you should report to Support
If you're using externals that could be where the problem happens, and in this case Support would tell you to contact the external's developer.
Ableton Forum Moderator

arvindj

Re: Device only works after opening & closing in Max device editor

Post by arvindj » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:08 pm

Thanks [jur]. The device is using Ircam objects and I was going to contact them for support but I created a new simple test device with those objects and it works fine so I don't think it is specifically that which is causing the issue.

My only option now is to re-create the Max device that has this issue step-by-step and object-by-object to see what exactly is causing the problem.

I was hoping it was a known issue with a specific object or setting in Live 11. I have a feeling it has something to do with the order of objects loading and that when a device is opened and closed in the Max editor, it somehow resets and fixes this.

I've made a support ticket and will report any useful news back here when I get a response.