MusicXML Support Please !!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tyr

MusicXML Support Please !!

Post by tyr » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Would it be at all possible for Live to have some sort of support for MusicXML, if only on an import and export basis? I believe that Live is easily one of the most intuitive environments for composing, mixing and any sort of sequencing that I have ever encountered. However it's such a terrible waste trying to export each of my midi tracks individually, and an even greater waste of time being forced to notate everything again for Lilypond or Sibelius. Working with Midi alone as a means to communicate the intended music across various programs/platforms is so hit and miss as it is (not to mention that you can't export multiple midi tracks in Live as a single condensed file without actually combining them into one track).

Supporting MusicXML would really open the doors for those of us who use Live in every facet of music creation, from purely digital to offline performance and production.

derzai

Re: MusicXML Support Please !!

Post by derzai » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Yes, I do miss a MusicXML import/export function.

D.

dikkedimi

Post by dikkedimi » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 am

I would also love this. Cleaning up MIDI in musescore is a chore.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:23 pm

I 100% agree that there should be an option to export all MIDI tracks separately, but I do not get this part at all?
tyr wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm
I believe that Live is easily one of the most intuitive environments for composing, mixing and any sort of sequencing that I have ever encountered. However it's such a terrible waste trying to export each of my midi tracks individually, and an even greater waste of time being forced to notate everything again for Lilypond or Sibelius. Working with Midi alone as a means to communicate the intended music across various programs/platforms is so hit and miss as it is (n
Live doesn't have a score editor, how or why would it be able to export MIDI as notation without even notation built in to the DAW itself?
Why would Ableton do a bunch of work for exporting notation better than vanilla MIDI without even having a score editor?

I think Live is a great tool but it's obvious over the decades that Ableton have a vision, that vision is all about a certain amount of avoidance of feature creep (ignoring Max4Live anyway), so waiting around for Live to be a better environment for scoring is a losing proposition, IMO. We will get DAWproject before MusicXML for sure.