creating a track using wav sample packs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
david.barker

creating a track using wav sample packs

Post by david.barker » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:29 am

Hi everyone :)
After my embarrassing last post and discovery of my error,ha,ha
I am ready to create a track using my 3rd party wav sample packs .
Now what would be the best approach? Use the clips to arrange the music in the session view and play around with the clips while recording
Or to simple drap the samples into the arrangement and arrange then to suit
I know of Lives unique session view to create various versions, of the same track.But was wondering what other peoples preferences are?
Will have a look at some of Lives lessons too as a refresher.I very much like to use Live to create a track using only wav samples and not instruments
Appreciate the help
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

Greenapples2019

Re: creating a track using wav sample packs

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:08 am

Hi David, I find the easiest way in your scenario is to think of Session view as the rehearsal room and Arrangement as the studio. So I use session view initially; one track for each instrument and then use scenes to try out different combinations of samples eg intro, verse, chorus, breakdown etc. Then once I'm broadly happy I move them into arrangement view and refine the length of each section, consolidate clips, add automation etc.

Then if you want to perform live with different sections rather than one continuous track I would chop up the sections and move back into session view.

david.barker

Re: creating a track using wav sample packs

Post by david.barker » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:45 pm

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:08 am
Hi David, I find the easiest way in your scenario is to think of Session view as the rehearsal room and Arrangement as the studio. So I use session view initially; one track for each instrument and then use scenes to try out different combinations of samples eg intro, verse, chorus, breakdown etc. Then once I'm broadly happy I move them into arrangement view and refine the length of each section, consolidate clips, add automation etc.

Then if you want to perform live with different sections rather than one continuous track I would chop up the sections and move back into session view.
Thank you Greenapples 2019 thats really helpful, just for a bit of context,ha,ha.I like create ambient styles,so as its nearly Halloween ,I'd thought it would be great to create something spooky
What you said makes great sense, I will try different things out and see what fits etc
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic