New Echo effect is causing feedback when nothing is playing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sean Cusson

New Echo effect is causing feedback when nothing is playing

Post by Sean Cusson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Adding the echo effect to a return track is causing a weird hum . You can see that it's outputting something when you look at it's track in the mixer. I have no idea what's causing this as no other delay plugins are causing this problem when I put them on the same track.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IzGny ... XVRc63-hxr

Angstrom

Re: New Echo effect is causing feedback when nothing is playing

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 pm

a combo of the noise=on, 70% and input drive +10db

probably

LubomirL

Post by LubomirL » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:11 pm

Hi all,

I did not find answer to this in the forum

please is it normal or i can set it up?
When i set echo effect to whatever i hear noise sound even if track is not playing...even if track is playing but note with effect is not currently playing..it is quite noise but it is distrurbing in tha track

scg

Post by scg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:59 am

LubomirL wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:11 pm
Hi all,

I did not find answer to this in the forum

please is it normal or i can set it up?
When i set echo effect to whatever i hear noise sound even if track is not playing...even if track is playing but note with effect is not currently playing..it is quite noise but it is distrurbing in tha track

The behavior I'm seeing with Echo is that if noise is on, it's audible whether or not the transport is running, and irrespective of other settings (at least of those I tested), with one exception, which is if gating is on. In this case, the gate, which is triggered by external input, seems to gate the noise. However, for me, the gating of the noise is significantly behind the input signal itself, as if the gating is being delayed (latency issue perhaps?).

I don't know what the expected behavior is, and maybe everything I'm seeing is normal (although the gating behavior seems curious).

If what you're hearing is the noise generator, and you don't need the noise, then the solution is easy, as mentioned above - just turn it off. But it does seem that when noise is on, it runs continuously (except for gating).

scg

Post by scg » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:30 am

Not that anyone's anxiously awaiting updates on this, but I wanted to add that I think the delay I mentioned earlier is just due to the delay effect itself. I'm not sure this precise behavior is documented, but it seems the processing order is noise->gate->delay, but the gate is only triggered by the input to the device, not the noise itself. In other words, the noise won't open the gate, but it is gated by the gate. At least that's what seems to be the case based on observation.

cuttuc

Post by cuttuc » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:03 pm

Same behaviour here. I'm constantly turning off the noise or muting the affected track.

I like Echo but this is annoying.