Ableton UI unusably slow on M2 max

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
concierlo

Re: Ableton UI unusably slow on M2 max

Post by concierlo » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:43 pm

I'm experiencing the same.

UI gives me beach ball ~5 seconds on copy and paste/ move and even slower at saving.

I'm using an eGpu on a '18 Mac mini in about 50% cpu meter.

wille31061

Post by wille31061 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:49 pm

I'm having the same issues on my 2020 MacBook Pro. It's extremely frustrating.

Have you found any kind of fix?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:38 am

wille31061 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:49 pm
I'm having the same issues on my 2020 MacBook Pro. It's extremely frustrating.

Have you found any kind of fix?
What version of macOS are you running?

Did you try disabling the low power mode in the Battery settings? Does it have a positive effect on the performance?

wille31061

Post by wille31061 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:25 pm

I'm on Ventura 13.5.1

My computer is set to only being on low power when on battery, which I'm aways plugged in when creating/operating the sets.

bray

Post by bray » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:24 pm

old_raetterTAENT wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:29 am
[jur] wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:18 am
Interesting, but freaking weird!
I'm clueless.
Did you already contact Support?
Yes, but no feedback so far
Hi, I'm having the exact same problem, including the weird Quicktime phenomenon of when I record in QT, the problem goes away. Did you resolve the issue?

giraffage

Post by giraffage » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:17 pm

same issue, including the QT quirk

elfsolo

Post by elfsolo » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:33 pm

Same issue with a new 2023 top spec MacBook Pro. All my other daws work fine. @ableton please find a solution for this. The only thing that marginally improved performance for me was running it in Rosetta mode but after a few minutes, it becomes unusable even with only two instruments active.

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:40 pm

elfsolo wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:33 pm
Same issue with a new 2023 top spec MacBook Pro. All my other daws work fine. @ableton please find a solution for this. The only thing that marginally improved performance for me was running it in Rosetta mode but after a few minutes, it becomes unusable even with only two instruments active.
You running Sonoma or Ventura? Just asking as i planning on getting a Macbook posts like this makes me wonder if i should stick with windows... :?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:49 pm

So this is a cross DAW issue, and I'm not at all sure the same solutions will work, but with Digital Performer on the M2 Studio Ultra even, plenty of GPU etc. I was getting laggy graphics and some spikes with NI plugins mostly. There are some issue I believe with various AU/VSTs and the last two Mac OS's and Apple Silicon.

So with DP I was able to solve it by pulling the latest versions of Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol, and using the older versions, then removing the DP VST, VST3 and AU preferences in the User library. This solved the graphics issues DP was having. It's possible that rolling back to earlier versions of the NI plugins mentioned will solve the issue in Live without deleting AU/VST preferences so I would start there. NI have pretty much admitted there's issues with various DAWs and posted a dropbox with the older files. Here's a linkl posted about this, again it's not just DP that's experiencing this.
Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our products. We are curently investigate regarding this product.

Could you please downgrade Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol using these links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYrco- ... drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwnb9K ... drive_link

I did this and then restarted my computer. I'm back to Kontakt 7.6.0 and things are working again.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:20 am

Another reason for laggy GUI in Ableton Live can be MIDI remote scripts. I had this issue with the Maschine MK3 MIDI remote script. Only 2 FPS some time, GUI unusable.

Check if you added and use a script for a hardware that is not provided with Live's installer. Disabling the above mentioned script helped in my case.

old_raetterTAENT

Post by old_raetterTAENT » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:44 am

Hi, tried everything except a complete new install of the OS. Nothing worked so far. Ableton support advised me to uninstall Ableton Live cleanly and reinstall it. That didn't work either.

sopwith

Post by sopwith » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:20 am

For those having issues: are you connected to an external display? And have you set that external display to be the "Main Display" in the macbook's system settings?

I was having the same issue with unresponsive UI on an M2 Pro Ventura connected to an external LG 4k monitor, but setting the Macbook display back to Main display again seems to have solved it. Interface is nice and snappy after that.

Also seems related to whether Live is maximized on the external display or not.

I did "reset Live" once before discovering the monitor issue, not sure if the reset had any effect, but Sets open much faster again too.