MaxforLive and Push 3 Standalone

Discuss Push with other users.
S4racen

MaxforLive and Push 3 Standalone

Post by S4racen » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:52 am

I've been working with Peter Kirn for a while on creating a series of videos focusing on the Push 3 Standalone and MaxforLive.

There's four videos so far and CDM have published 2 articles as well...

https://cdm.link/2023/09/making-max-for ... tandalone/

https://cdm.link/2023/10/custom-push-3- ... e-control/

If you see stuff that you think I could've done better please comment, as a lot of the control surfaces work is undocumented then it's a lot of trial and error and I've racked up over 100 hours on it so far....

My plan is to continue the series updating the Push 3 Control device with new features and functionality, some of which I hope comes later from Ableton....

The device itself will be free, and I'll release iterations to match the video content over time.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/pus ... ol-master/

Open disclosure, the free device will cover the theory covered in the videos to allow you to use the patching within your own devices, if you come up with something cool then let me know the intent was to share and see what happens!

I will be building everything out into a performance template however which will at some point be a commercial device available on the website.

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Re: MaxforLive and Push 3 Standalone

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:47 pm

That's a nice project, thanks for sharing !
I am only starting to work with M4L and Push, so...
if you're open to suggestions, here's what I'd love to see explored :

- tips on changing matrix buttons colors
- how to implement a "flashing playhead" for step sequencers
- store/recall matrix button states
- how to rename controls (just kidding, I know you know it's currently impossible :D )
- create "shift buttons"
- use the aftertouch of single buttons

Yeah, I kind of think the matrix has a lot of potential.

EDIT : I realize my requests are not properly standalone-related... but still, might be interesting ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:21 pm

This looks awesome! I wonder if this technique could be used to create a device that allowed midi mappings on the fly in standalone (an oft-requested feature!). For example, could one make an m4l device that had pre-setup mappable controls for each of a bunch of midi-CCs and then drop that into a track that has a device you want to control? Or have I misunderstood what it can do?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:59 am

@Doublewah :
What's doable is to make a MIDI FX that you'd drop in a dedicated track, listening to MIDI from a specific controller. You would use "track midi" instead of "remote midi". Ech CC coming from you controller would go to a "Mapper" that you could bind to any parameter anywhere in the live set.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:06 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:47 pm
That's a nice project, thanks for sharing !
I am only starting to work with M4L and Push, so...
if you're open to suggestions, here's what I'd love to see explored :

- tips on changing matrix buttons colors
Once grabbed you can either use the MIDI Note technique sent to the control surface layer or the send_value technique sent to the Button_MAtrix object, there's an example in the device if you switch the gate from right to left (remove the load mess if you want it to be permanently set to MIDI Notes. Currently it's just set to give feedback on button presses using the velocity as the colour message.
chapelier fou wrote:
- how to implement a "flashing playhead" for step sequencers
Yep, will put that on the list....
chapelier fou wrote:
- store/recall matrix button states
Currently working on the net video which allows you to focus on an Audio track and automatically grab a named rack / device with visual feedback on parameter states for the Button matrix, some of this maybe useful
chapelier fou wrote:
- how to rename controls (just kidding, I know you know it's currently impossible :D )
Campaigning on every from that I can possibly manage! :-) but yes, there's no point expending energy on trying things that simply won't work...
chapelier fou wrote:
- create "shift buttons"
Next video shows how to use the "Is it an audio Track, have you pressed the Note Mode Button theory, but I can easily add the Shift button as another method, it seems some buttons can be observed without grabbing them, others can't...
chapelier fou wrote:
- use the aftertouch of single buttons
Think that's only possible via grabbing the MIDI, that's bigger subject which needs Poly~ etc. probably won't get to that anytime soon but it's demonstrated within the Apex device.

chapelier fou wrote:
Yeah, I kind of think the matrix has a lot of potential.
I guess it'll be a work in progress but I would love to grab it as a giant X Y pad....
chapelier fou wrote:
EDIT : I realize my requests are not properly standalone-related... but still, might be interesting ?
Yeah I'm enjoying the discovery so far, and I'm sure I can do more content over a period of time, just got to balance it around other releases and working it into a premium performance template for release at some point, as I said the theory I'll share but maybe the actual application of the theory will just become the demos for inspiration...

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:08 pm

DoubleWah wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:21 pm
This looks awesome! I wonder if this technique could be used to create a device that allowed midi mappings on the fly in standalone (an oft-requested feature!). For example, could one make an m4l device that had pre-setup mappable controls for each of a bunch of midi-CCs and then drop that into a track that has a device you want to control? Or have I misunderstood what it can do?
I've probably misunderstood the question but MIDI Mappings aren't possible to change on the fly, what you can do is grab the Button Matrix and then use that to control parameters within Live, the next video will do this automatically if an Audio track has a rack in it called "Isotonik" and you press the Note Mode button, gives some pretty instant gratification of playing parameters with button presses rather than twisting encoders...

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm

Thanks for the answer, looking forward to the next episodes !

DoubleWah

Post by DoubleWah » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:20 pm

S4racen wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:08 pm

I've probably misunderstood the question but MIDI Mappings aren't possible to change on the fly,
Thanks! What I was thinking was to have the MIDI CCs baked in but be able to on-the-fly change what they control on that track. So, I know the CCs of my attached faderbank and they don’t change but I’d like to be able to remap them to other stuff as needed. So, strictly speaking it’s not changing midi mappings as they’ll be fixed, but instead changing where those control signals are sent to using the max patch.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:03 am

DoubleWah wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:20 pm
S4racen wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:08 pm

I've probably misunderstood the question but MIDI Mappings aren't possible to change on the fly,
Thanks! What I was thinking was to have the MIDI CCs baked in but be able to on-the-fly change what they control on that track. So, I know the CCs of my attached faderbank and they don’t change but I’d like to be able to remap them to other stuff as needed. So, strictly speaking it’s not changing midi mappings as they’ll be fixed, but instead changing where those control signals are sent to using the max patch.
So if you watch the video you'll see that you can turn the button matrix into velocity, column, row values... After that what you do with it is totally up to you :-)

Cheers
D